RHD-LHD Calling on the experts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ62 has arrived it is a RHD which I have no Problem with but I am thinking of converting it to LHD.
Most guys use a donor 62 1/2 cut for the conversion but this one I want intact since it has the rare ambi doors.
So my thinking was to cut the firewall out and mate in a LHD firewall has anyone done this before to me this would be the easy option I have a 62 LHD I can use for the firewall donor and related parts.
Please all input and ideas would be much appreciated.:wrench:
100_0729.jpg
100_0735.jpg

Last edited:
Don't convert it. My Hj60 was RHD, and when I pulled the powertrain and put it into my FJ62, I found I missed the RHD. The trouble you would go through to do all this would not be worth making it "normal".

nice 60 series .. I thought you don't really need to cut the firewall to make it LHD .. just a couple of new bolts and stuff .. but if you have the complete dash and other LHD donnor .. means to me much easy job ..

personally I would love to have a RHD 62, mine is LHD but RHD would just be sweet. I will trade you!! ;)

nice 60 series .. I thought you don't really need to cut the firewall to make it LHD .. just a couple of new bolts and stuff .. but if you have the complete dash and other LHD donnor .. means to me much easy job ..

Absolutely not just a couple of new bolts and stuff.... Check my build thread (search HJ62), I cover a bit of it there. Example, the pedal bucket is not only different, but where it bolts to the firewall, is not merely an issue of missing nutcerts, but of a panel welded to that side of the firewall. There would be heavy mods to the firewall, that being just one. Then you have just about every steering component, except the pump. You have to totally redo the clutch lines....holy s*** I am getting a headache even thinking about it...

Appreciate the RHD...

Last edited:
As far as missing the RHD look at my sign most of my cruisers are RHD I am impartial and have no real preferance I tend to swing right though.
The reason I am thinking to convert would be for resale value into the US as a RHD it can't be sold it is to new for export if I convert it may be posible to squeek by in the grey if not it would still be more desirable as LHD in the CDN market.
As far as the firewall if I swap out from a lefty it will have all the right holes and brackets and my donor 62 will supply all the parts other than the clutch bracket and pedals I should be able to use the ones from the RHD,I know its alot of work but is anyone in agreeent that the firewall swap is better than chop and swap the whole cowl.
Also I will probably drop a 12ht into it whether I do the RHD-LHD swap

My FJ62 has arrived it is a RHD which I have no Problem with but I am thinking of converting it to LHD.
:

I havent seen an FJ62 with amby doors and a low roof before. Ive seen some high roof 61 series with amby doors,but only pics .
Nice unique ride,even got the factory flares,dont molest it;)

EDIT In hindsight you would have been better off buying a US 60 and doing a diesel swap.;)

Naw Not interested in a North American 60 series this one exceeds all the ones out there,with a 12HT swap this will be the perfect 62 one of the nice features is it does not have the faulty electric windows just good old mannual roll ups only electric mirrors and door locks,factory 5 spd,PTO winch,no cable lockers but will be added soon.

I reckon if you use a good LHD donor to do your swap, you can transfer all the RHD stuff out of your amby truck into your donor and still have a complete vehicle to use or sell.

It's a lot of work, but you'll not be out too much in materials. If that's what you want, I say go for it!

Rick

All the wiring harness has to reach to the left side panel, the heater ducting/controls, wipers/ cowl is opposite, pedal bucket, brake lines, LHD steering box/ drag link. It is alot of work. OH Yeah it'd be pimpin. Ambi doors, 12ht/h55f and LHD would be my dream 60. It is a whole lotta work i'm sure, but do it if you want to and just know that you are in for many many hours of work. I personally wouldn't do it for 're-sale' because if you factor your time in you would need 80K. I would built it so I could say I did it, for the learning experience and to parade around my buddies in their rusty BJ60's :flipoff2:

When Ciaran (Cruiserland) does RHD -> LHD swaps, he transfers the complete firewall. Yes, he drills out every spot weld and welds the donor in. His shop is in Langley, he has stopped going this as a full time job, but still does it as a sideline job. I think he had it down to a couple of week job, of course, he did quite a few.
GG

I have met him a few times and bought some parts off him he does know what he is doin Last year he was working on Robs black cruiser that one turned out awesome and last time I was there he was doin a diesel swap on a 60.
If I see him at the cruiser show and shine I will pick his brain on this topic I am hoping to bring my entire fleet of cruisers in July

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom