RHD JDM HDJ81 steering box solenoid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope the right person can lay eyes on this thread and help me out..

Working on a friend's JDM HDJ-81 and trying to solve some steering issues. Mainly a lack of power steering.
I just installed a rebuilt pump from straight line steering. Have been pulling my hair out bleeding it for days and not getting power steering.

Being a JDM it has the variable speed steering solenoid attached, which got me suspicious about its operation.

I removed the solenoid from the steering box and bench tested it with 12 volts and it does click and I can see a slight movement of the shaft inside. My understanding is the ECU for the VSS sends a power signal to the solenoid when a certain speed is reached, so I cannot diagnose if the solenoid is receiving voltage at the right time.

Also, This vehicle has had the ABS system removed, which got me wondering if the ECU for the VSS takes it's speed signal from the ABS system? In which case, this won't be working properly regardless. What to do?

My main question is, for simplicity's sake, would it be okay to weld up and seal the solenoid and remove its guts so it is basically just a blank plug and allows full fluid flow?
Looking at the orifice size when the solenoid is in its open position only shows a very very small passage. If I remove those guts and weld the solenoid body as a plug it will have a massive orifice in comparison. Concerned this will be too much pressure and flow and mess up the steering or the box itself.

The picture with my fingers shows the end of the solenoid body I would weld up to plug it. With this welded we solenoid body would essentially be a blank plug.

Any words of advice from anyone who knows how these systems work?

Thanks in advance

PXL_20230130_211723680.jpg

PXL_20230130_200608722.jpg

PXL_20230130_211711186.jpg

I screwed with my PPS solenoid last year, it was frozen so I tore it down and got it working again. Like you, I don't know if it's getting actuated at the correct speed. I didn't really notice a difference afterwards, but I also have 37s. Looking at the FSM (Page SR-36), it appears as though it REDUCES pressure when actuated so instead of making steering easier at slow speeds it must make steering harder at high speeds. Anyway, I think your proposal to plug the whole thing by ruining the solenoid is likely an inelegant approach. At the very least I'd recommend finding a bolt and RTVing it in place instead so as to not ruin the solenoid. Someone on here would buy that thing. But I don't think that will help at all.

I assume you replaced the PS pump because the PS wasn't working to start with? And now it's still not working? Is it actually bled out (no air bubbles showing up in reservoir)? You could have leaks in the lines, or perhaps the gear box is really shot. You really need to make sure it's fully bled (which should be pretty easy if you don't have any line leaks) and then pressure test it per the FSM to confirm where the problem lies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

I would gladly try a bolt, and that definitely would be a first choice, but I don't think I have one that size/pitch.

At this point, getting the PS working and getting this back on the road (and eliminating variables and future possible issues) outweighs any value that part may have... As long as the steering system will function properly and reliably.

Also, as a welder, the go to solution to any problem involves welding ;)

Thanks for the reply.

I would gladly try a bolt, and that definitely would be a first choice, but I don't think I have one that size/pitch.

At this point, getting the PS working and getting this back on the road (and eliminating variables and future possible issues) outweighs any value that part may have... As long as the steering system will function properly and reliably.

Also, as a welder, the go to solution to any problem involves welding ;)

I can't find them now but there are a few threads on deleting it

I can't find them now but there are a few threads on deleting it
I have tried a bunch of different searches and not come up with anything like that.

I spoke to redhead steering and they said there is a way to bypass it, but they wouldn't recommend it as it may mess up the steering box with increased pressure or volume.

Seems they didn't have a definitive answer on it.

I have a UK 80 with PS solenoid. I removed all ABS and had no effect on steering. Pretty sure it isn’t in any way linked to the ABS.

I have tried a bunch of different searches and not come up with anything like that.

I spoke to redhead steering and they said there is a way to bypass it, but they wouldn't recommend it as it may mess up the steering box with increased pressure or volume.

Seems they didn't have a definitive answer on it.

The basic gist is using a non speed sensitive box. I'm trying to find the threads

Copy.

Current plan is to clean, reassemble, verify and reinstall solenoid, re-bleed now that air got introduced,

and pray.

Thanks!

I'm ready to light a match and flick it in the tank at this point but it's a diesel so it wouldn't do any good. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom