RHD 60 or 80 Series Power Steering Box installed inside LHD frame rail? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
When I lay in bed and can't sleep I think of things. One of those things I thought of was about installing a RHD 60 series or 80 series power steering box on the INSIDE of the frame rail of a LHD 40 series, instead of a LHD box on the outside like is typically done in these conversions. Has anyone seen it done? Obviously clearances would be a challenge, I definitely expect some fighting for real estate with the radiator support and maybe even the radiator itself. Alternator would move to pass side, and I'm thinking an electric PS pump would be utilized to keep the drivers side of engine bay free of obstructions. Other than the typical "why" or "too much work" or "electric PS is the way of the future" responses, I am curious if anyone has seen it done? Am I missing something obvious on why this would not work?

This question stems from some research I have done on the Astro steering box install. I have a very clean '71 that I want to install power steering on, but I also HAVE to keep the 3 on the tree shifting. I also do not want to cut inner fender for a box install on outside of the frame. I bought a factory FJ40 PS box, but I'm not sold I can make it work with the 3 on tree linkage. The astro box would likely work, but just thinking of out of the box options as I like the idea of the FJ60 or 80 box since I have 37" tires. It's a mall crawler, but still want to have components up to the task.

A dirty photo of the 40 for your viewing pleasure. I may actually step down to 35" tires, I had these 37's from another truck and threw them on as the 33's that were originally on the truck were not at all proportional. Steering effort won't change really, as it is mostly tied to contact patch and scrub radius, which I don't expect will differ with the 35's.

IMG_9939.JPG

I would think it is 100% possible, as long as you can fit it in there. Steering angles may be a bit funny sitting behind the front cross-member, though.

I would think it is 100% possible, as long as you can fit it in there. Steering angles may be a bit funny sitting behind the front cross-member, though.
I'm thinking pitman arm would be in about the same location as it would with a saginaw, it just has the opposite arc path. You'd get a bit more bump steer than if the box were mounted to the outside of the frame rail due to shorter drag link, but no worse than a saginaw swap.

No reason other then huge radiator and bib interference issues, and difficult to find box. You're not missing anything obvious though. Ford and Land Rover boxes mount inside the frame and will be way easier to find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom