review your Roof-Top-Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mombasa RTT for sale

Hey guys where should I list my Mombasa RTT for sale on Mud at? I don't see a good spot? :confused: I wish I could review for you guys but never opened the box. Got a good deal on a used coumbia, more the size I needed. :D THanks Bob

Hey guys where should I list my Mombasa RTT for sale on Mud at? I don't see a good spot? :confused: I wish I could review for you guys but never opened the box. Got a good deal on a used coumbia, more the size I needed. :D THanks Bob

I would go with for sale "parts" or "misc" sections

Cheers - Nate

Pics of my Hannibal 1.4

I just got our new Hannibal tent the other day, and got it mounted on the truck last night and opened up for the first time this morning. We're going off-roading this weekend so it will see some actual use tonight, but in the meantime if anyone's interested there are some backyard poseur pictures at http://www.clarke.ca/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Hannibal_Tent_Land_Rover_110 .

I also got the Jumbo Kit, which is the extended rain fly you can see pictured (covering above the ladder) and walls for under the tent and fly, which I don't have on in the photos.

I'm not trying to steal any thunder from www.car-top-tent.com but just thought I'd post about my Hannibal tent. So far, my impressions of it are very favourable.

- Andrew.

I just got our new Hannibal tent the other day, and got it mounted on the truck last night and opened up for the first time this morning. We're going off-roading this weekend so it will see some actual use tonight, but in the meantime if anyone's interested there are some backyard poseur pictures at http://www.clarke.ca/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Hannibal_Tent_Land_Rover_110 .

:confused:

Posting in MUD, on a thread about reviewing the Mombasa tent, with your information/opinions about a Hannibal tent that is installed on a Land Rover??

Did someone take a wrong turn as the crossroad? :lol:

:confused:

Posting in MUD, on a thread about reviewing the Mombasa tent, with your information/opinions about a Hannibal tent that is installed on a Land Rover??

Did someone take a wrong turn as the crossroad? :lol:

The thread is "review your Roof-Top-Tent". I didn't notice until now that it was "Roof-Top-Tent", not just "roof top tent". I learned a lot from this thread and seriously considered getting a roof-top-tent, and I didn't know that a tent became better or worse for being mounted on a Land Rover vs. a Toyota.

I guess I also thought that there might be other people like me who are interested in making an informed decision. I thought that since I'd just bought one of these tents (after trying pretty hard to find out as much as I could on the new roof-top-tent, BTW) other people might be interested.

- Andrew.

The thread is "review your Roof-Top-Tent". I didn't notice until now that it was "Roof-Top-Tent", not just "roof top tent". I learned a lot from this thread and seriously considered getting a roof-top-tent, and I didn't know that a tent became better or worse for being mounted on a Land Rover vs. a Toyota.

I guess I also thought that there might be other people like me who are interested in making an informed decision. I thought that since I'd just bought one of these tents (after trying pretty hard to find out as much as I could on the new roof-top-tent, BTW) other people might be interested.

- Andrew.

It's OK to not check your sense of humor at the door, even if you're from Canada and drive a LR ... :D

Corsair was rude. The guy has 7 posts and was just trying to add to the info on tent. Thank you for the info and I would trade my 80 for a td300 or td5 110 any day. Thanks for your info Andrew and hope you will still feel welcome to add to the threads. Mike

It's OK to not check your sense of humor at the door, even if you're from Canada and drive a LR ... :D

Yeah Andrew...I was just busting your chops and having fun at your expense :D. I like ALL information and there have been plenty of posts on this thread not related to the actual "RTT" or "CTT" tent.

It was the Land Rover that threw me over the edge ;p. Nice LR by the way ;)

I bought a CTT 'cuz the price was right and if I use it once or twice a year that will be a lot for me. So far the only use my CTT has seen was being opened sitting on the garage floor and having the kids turn it into an afternoon play pen. Suits my needs perfectly but the more serious expendition type folks it probably doesn't.

Corsair was rude. The guy has 7 posts and was just trying to add to the info on tent. Thank you for the info and I would trade my 80 for a td300 or td5 110 any day. Thanks for your info Andrew and hope you will still feel welcome to add to the threads. Mike

;p

Dang, try for a little humor around here and suddenly you're rude :confused:

Tone is hard to tell with text. Just wanted him to feel welcome. If I were to go to a jeep or rover site and add what I know I would hope to be welcomed. Thanks guys

It's all good :)

Dang emoticons anyway

On the tech side I plan to have brackets fabbed up for my 40 that will attach to my family roll cage so that I can use the CTT on my 40 with the hard top off. The trick will be if the brackets can be fabbed up in a way that I can use them with my soft top at the same time...Have them coming out the window zipper holes maybe?

Last edited:
Broken piece

Well i picked up a Mombassa from a local mudder still in the box. Unfortunately
when I opened it up all three rivets on one of the ladder supports were sheered.
No biggie I have an airstream so rivets are readily available.

Then when I opened it up one of the plastic mounts on the pole (see pic) was broken. I glued it with some gorilla glue, but I'm not sure if it will hold or not. Anyone have an idea for a better fix or had any luck getting parts from Mel or elsewhere.

Once it was up I'm very happy with it. It's on the lawn so haven't had a chance to use the fancy ladder yet. The kids really like it which is making it an easier sell on to the wife.

Thanks B

UPDATE: I just received an Email from Mel and he is sending me a replacement tab. Truly a class act in service and speed of service. I have purchased many items that were 3x the price we got these tents for and have had to over explain the issue over and over again before getting something fixed. Thanks Mel

Last edited:
i think you can get that fitting for a boat bimini top. try a boat canopy shop or look at a marine online seller like westmarine

Well i picked up a Mombassa from a local mudder still in the box. Unfortunately
when I opened it up all three rivets on one of the ladder supports were sheered.
No biggie I have an airstream so rivets are readily available.

Then when I opened it up one of the plastic mounts on the pole (see pic) was broken. I glued it with some gorilla glue, but I'm not sure if it will hold or not. Anyone have an idea for a better fix or had any luck getting parts from Mel or elsewhere.

Once it was up I'm very happy with it. It's on the lawn so haven't had a chance to use the fancy ladder yet. The kids really like it which is making it an easier sell on to the wife.

Thanks B

I didnt have any broken parts but mine do tend to come out of the aluminum pole once in a while, The first time I set it up on the cruiser it put a dent into the roof and I kinked it in the hunged area when it opened all the way, I was going to put in pins but used some liquid nails in the tube, So far so good :cheers:

I had a bag of bimini parts so I carry a few of the broken parts as well.

Still like ours, Need to get out and use it more :D
Good luck

I finally got mine installed and all figured out. I love it!

This is the 1.8m Autohome Overland. I have it mounted to the TOP bars of an ARB roof rack. I used to be so worried that I needed a flat rack with no sides to use a tent. I have it mounted to exit out the back for now until I install a rear tire carrier. This setup allows me to still mount my 35" spare up top.

l_a60a8d812044e891f9d0b9026de79d60.jpg

I just washed the zippered sheet around the mattress foam so its a little out of place....but a king size bed in a roof tent is nice!

l_93da98bb4b52975e183a2ad918b197e4.jpg

Nice looking tent there Cody, But say, Are they really just a couple of mins to set up and tear down like they advertise?
How do you find climbing up the ladder and crawling in there?
And is it hard to find your footing on the ladder when exiting the tent?

Easy, easy, and more easy.

95% of the setup is done by me jumping on the roof and I just hold the canvas and frame and sort of roll it forward. It unfolds and isn't in anyway hard to deal with. Its like an instant tent up there. The ladder extending and awning pole installs are just a few clicks away and done in seconds.

Packing it up is the same. Just crawl up there and pull it back to folded position. There are some cinch straps to tighten it down if you have extra bedding....but it opens and closes in seconds. Putting the cover on is pretty simple as there is an elastic cord running around it which just gets pushed onto plastic hooks on the bottom to secure it.

Setup and shutdown is so simple...I joked about how we could do like a "Chinese Fire Drill" at a stop light by opening the tent, laying in it, jumping out, closing it up, putting on the cover and being back in the car just as the light turns from red to green...

(I'll never do it...but I bet someone could...)

Easy, easy, and more easy.

Setup and shutdown is so simple...I joked about how we could do like a "Chinese Fire Drill" at a stop light by opening the tent, laying in it, jumping out, closing it up, putting on the cover and being back in the car just as the light turns from red to green...

(I'll never do it...but I bet someone could...)

I'd like to see that but alas i think the average age of the I-mudders with the roof tents might be such that the fire that causes those types of antics is smouldering now rather than scorching with the exuberance of youth.:D :D

Someone please prove me wrong though, i wanna see that...:beer: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom