Reverting back to AWD from marks part time kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kevin LeClaire

Ridge Runner
Threads
I have a 97 LC. I have long winters up here and ice and snow is on the roads for 7 months out of the year (I use my truck in the winter) and I don't want to drive with the center diff locked in for 7 months out of the year, I don't think that would be good for the LC. So I am thinking of putting the AWD parts back in the transfer case. So if I revert back to AWD is there anything I should upgrade while I am in there? And can I leave the Asian hubs in there just keep them locked?
Thank you guys for your help and advice and thanks for this sight, you all have been a great help.

I have a 97 LC. I have long winters up here and ice and snow is on the roads for 7 months out of the year (I use my truck in the winter) and I don't want to drive with the center diff locked in for 7 months out of the year, I don't think that would be good for the LC. So I am thinking of putting the AWD parts back in the transfer case. So if I revert back to AWD is there anything I should upgrade while I am in there? And can I leave the Asian hubs in there just keep them locked?
Thank you guys for your help and advice and thanks for this sight, you all have been a great help.
Maybe change the gears if you are inclined and think you could benefit from them while wheeling. That’s all I can think of.

Yes, you can just leave the hubs locked.

I'd be looking for another unmolested case, and then sell what you have. Might come out ahead with less work/frustration.

Maybe change the gears if you are inclined and think you could benefit from them while wheeling. That’s all I can think of.

Yes, you can just leave the hubs locked.
Yes I will have to check on that great thanks.

Definitely do crawlers and if req for larger tyres do the underdrive high range gear set too

I almost went down the road of part time recently and decided to trash the idea. Given what can be read in the matter, and just thinking about it logically, the reasoning is pretty questionable at best. I'd put it back to AWD and just leave it. Seems the one and only good reason to do it is to save wear and tear on chromemoly birfs if you have them. Otherwise kind of pointless. Even fuel economy concerns are highly dubious.

I'd be looking for another unmolested case, and then sell what you have. Might come out ahead with less work/frustration.
This, have a turn key part time kit to sell. Flanges are stronger leaders parts why not switch them.

That is a good idea, up here in Fairbanks that may be a problem there is not a lot. I will have to do some research on that.

Trading someone was going to be my initial suggestion until I saw his location. Probably not much call for it up there.

I did not throw anything away, I still have the gears and that viscous thingamajig

What was the original reason for the conversion? Some used it to alleviate driveline vibration from bigger (4+")lifts. If that's the case with yours you may need to address the driveline vibes with a dbl cardan shaft or two, or drop the lift.

What was the original reason for the conversion? Some used it to alleviate driveline vibration from bigger (4+")lifts. If that's the case with yours you may need to address the driveline vibes with a dbl cardan shaft or two, or drop the lift.
I guess at the time it seemed like the thing to do I really did not think it through. It was running fine I put the old man emu springs and shocks on they just raised the cruiser up a couple inches.

It looks like I have all the parts
AWD Parts.jpg

I did this conversion on a '97 LX450 and I think I still have all the parts. If you want to put full time hubs back on, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom