Reverse transmission squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My roommate went to move my 97 lx450. Le let it warm up for 5 minutes pulled down the driveway and went to reverse up it it bound up and made a loud squeal. What are yalls thoughts about it? I've attached a video from our ring camera where you can hear it

My roommate went to move my 97 lx450. Le let it warm up for 5 minutes pulled down the driveway and went to reverse up it it bound up and made a loud squeal. What are yalls thoughts about it? I've attached a video from our ring camera where you can hear it
No video attached.

Was the parking brake on?

Was it in low range on the transfer case?

Do you have a separate CDL switch?

There are a few threads about an inherent squeal on some of these.

Check your transmission fluid when warm, in park, on a level surface. Warm equals a MINIMUM drive of 10 miles. Fluid level needs to be at the full mark, not above, and not below. Difference between hi and low marks is 1 PINT (not quart)

No video attached.

Was the parking brake on?

Was it in low range on the transfer case?

Do you have a separate CDL switch?

There are a few threads about an inherent squeal on some of these.

Check your transmission fluid when warm, in park, on a level surface. Warm equals a MINIMUM drive of 10 miles. Fluid level needs to be at the full mark, not above, and not below. Difference between hi and low marks is 1 PINT (not quart)

Hopefully you got the video. My break was not on it was not in low gear and I don't have cdl switches (I don't think)

Thank you
Was he able to actually move it?

That sounds like a brake being held or a caliper possibly having come loose and binding on the wheel.

The sound is similar to when guys are wheeling and just creeping down the rocks and the brakes are binding in order to control very slow movement.

Can you get the noise to repeat?

That sounds like a brake being held or a caliper possibly having come loose and binding on the wheel.

The sound is similar to when guys are wheeling and just creeping down the rocks and the brakes are binding in order to control very slow movement.

He was able to move it. And it has happened twice or 3 times but cant re create the noise. And My e break doesn't work

He was able to move it. And it has happened twice or 3 times but cant re create the noise. And My e break doesn't work
If your foot is on the brake pedal when it is attempting to move, it could be causing that noise. It could also be a brake caliper hanging up and it releases shortly after moving even though your foot is not on the brake pedal, brake pressure is not relieving properly.

^^^
That's the stuff I was thinking about.

x2.

As alluded to a few times in this thread, this reverse squeal reportedly happens with some era 80 transmissions. My 97 has loudly squealed in reverse on moderately steep uphills in Hi range/CDL off/all brakes off at least twice. I would go through the search links jonheld provided. Cheers.

I did a full Rodney flush on mine and it fixed this problem. Before that I would put it in 4lo to reverse out of a rut or up a hill. Otherwise it would squeal and sound horrible.

Mine definitely is not the brakes ... Mine screeches reversing up a steep hill slowly ! I read elsewhere about doing a full fluid change and that the amount needs to be spot on not low or high ... Mines high ... I'm gonna go try that and see if it helps or goes away !

Mine definitely is not the brakes ... Mine screeches reversing up a steep hill slowly ! I read elsewhere about doing a full fluid change and that the amount needs to be spot on not low or high ... Mines high ... I'm gonna go try that and see if it helps or goes away !
Unlikely a fluid level issue. Did you read through the posts I searched in post #11?

Not read the whole thread however, anyone of the four UJ's on the propshaft can cause the sound you are describing. Try pumping plenty of grease into each one and see if that helps? If it does then one or more are on the way out, easy enough to replace, and certainly worth doing all four if you have no record of them being changed.

Regards

Dave

Unlikely a fluid level issue. Did you read through the posts I searched in post #11?
I looked at the level after it had some service done at a local shop ... I put 2 and 2 together ,the shop helper topped off all fluids and the transmission had almost 2 quarts extra in it ... I drained 2 quarts out and it's at the full level now when checked warm ...and it took care of the squeal !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom