Reverse to Drive - Engine revs but no go - 1991 3FE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, Lets see if I can explain this right. I have had tis issue for awhile now. I still drive my rig so Its not a show stopper. Its just annoying.

When cold, (even if I let it warm up to temp) and I reverse out of my drive way, I put the rig into Drive and it doesn't move for about a second or two (engine revs but no go). Then it engages and everything is fine. It doesn't happen again.

So I am wondering if anybody else has seen this? I am not sure what it is. A Trans issue, vacuum issue, my driveway being at an incline.

Sounds like the fluid level may be low. This is an A440, correct? If so, this transmission is fully hydraulic, so there is no electrical (or vacuum) control to worry about. If the fluid level is correct, it may be time to change it.

check your fluid level of the tranny. Sounded like low tranny fluid. pull dip stick when engine is warmed up and idling.

I will echo what others have said. The A440F is particular regarding fluid level.
After a drive to bring everything up to normal operating temperature, keep the engine running on level ground while in PARK. Fluid level should be at the HOT line on the dipstick.

Thank you all.
I replaced all tranny fluid 2 months ago. Still the same.

I am not gonna keep asking the same question over and over again. Checking the fluid level in your transmission when the engine is warm and at idle or Park on level ground. Did the oil level indicated on the transmission dip stick all the way at the top of the HOT line? You said you check fluid level, but did not mention the result. Just wanted to make sure you understand the question that was asked. Checking fluid level means nothing....

I am not gonna keep asking the same question over and over again. Checking the fluid level in your transmission when the engine is warm and at idle or Park on level ground. Did the oil level indicated on the transmission dip stick all the way at the top of the HOT line? You said you check fluid level, but did not mention the result. Just wanted to make sure you understand the question that was asked. Checking fluid level means nothing....
I understood perfectly. No reason to talk to me like I'm your kid!!

Yes, fluid level checked out before and after fluid change (like I said).
It checked out at the "HOT LINE", hot, warm, cold, at dle, parked level, parked at incline, during the summer and winter....

If the level is correct then it's possible that the transmission throttle cable is misadjusted.
I haven't checked that yet. I'll do that next.

So this only happens on the first cold start of the day?

What fluid brand/type was installed two months ago and was it a complete fluid exchange or just a drain and refill? Was the filter removed and reinstalled (with the thin gasket for the filter)? Have additives of any type ever been added?? Will the hesitation happen if you were to put the transmission in drive first (before reversing) on the driveway incline?

Any noises (whining, screeching, ---) from the transmission?

Ditto on checking the cable.

While I haven't heard of this on this side of the pond, the Aussies claim there is a known problem with the old A440F torque converters leaking down fluid. This has, as claimed, unexpected results in operation. That's why a pan drain and fill isn't recommended, while a pump assisted complete flush is; draining the pan also can drain the TC, while using the front pump to exchange the fluid will keep the TC full.

Try to remember that it's nearly impossible to have a conversation by text. It's hard to express yourself in a few words the way you would if you had the advantage of sitting across from someone. Giving advice via forum is an art, and one that's not always practiced as adroitly as we would all like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom