1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reverse light won't light up...

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by BigSur, Feb 28, 2007.

1. BigSur

BigSur

When i put the truck in reverse the light won't come on. But it when i move my shifter between the R and the N the light comes on but i have to hold it in place. What's the deal? My truck won't pass inspection because of this. Is there something i can tighten to make the reverse lights come one when they should? BTW...this is on my 1990 FJ62.

2. muddogbob

muddogbob

My '90 has done the same thing since I can remember. On mine I am able to get it in reverse, then push in the button and slightly move the shift lever up. Its still in reverse, just not locked in, and the lights come on....

3. dd113

dd113

You need to reindex the shifter and replace the shifter bushings.

4. Ming89FJ62

Ming89FJ62 I smell bacon SILVER Star

The neutral safety switch on the tranny controls the back-up lights. Maybe DD can elaborate on the re-indexing. I replaced the switch (not cheap) to solve the problem.

5. BigSur

BigSur

The shifter bushings are all new. No shifter wiggle but i can't get the stupid lights to come on. Very rare do they work.

What's this reindex you speak of DD?

Jason

6. dd113

dd113

Get the FSM. You need to realign how the tranny "thinks" it is in gear. SImple adj on the sid eof the tranny. Get the FSM and a midget. You will be all set.