Reverse front springs w/ FJ-60 PS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am wondering if I should reverse the front springs since I am putting in FJ-60 PS. The reason being that would put the axle basically under where the PS gear box wants to be. Check out the photo of hatfieldcb's rig below.

I am also wondering if these means I can just move the PS gearbox back a bit so I don't need the spacer to clear the radiator. Will that negatively impact steering geometry?

This is (will be) an SOA 40, no shackle reversal, reversed stock rear springs, reversed(?) stock front springs, FJ-60 PS with 4x4 labs hi-steer.
P2200017small.JPG

If you're going to run SO with stock spring you'll need a flat pitman arm....Guess what? I have a CNC flat pitman arm for FJ60 steering box and it's reamed for 1-ton tie-rod same as 4x4lab highsteer, hit me off-line if you want it cheap...

/td

Here is the placement I ended up with, it has a shackle reversal with flipped springs. I don't know if you can use it for placement reference. If you moved the box back far enough to clear the radiator you may have the drag link right on top of or behind the tie rod. The flat pitman arm would be a nice touch.

Last edited:
Ian,

I just started my FJ60 PS this last weekend.

It looks like we will be fine with front springs in stock placement and F-250 mounts.

I think it was Wes who had part numbers for 70 series pitman arm that is much flatter than 60 series, and should work with 60 series relay rod end.

Good luck!

flat pitman

hey IanB,

i'm currently knee deep in a similar project, shhhh it's an fj... but used a different PS box. i reversed the fronts as well as the rears on mine.

70 series stuff is hard to find, and most likely $$$ because of reason #1. are you going to run gm TRE'S? then you don't have to worry about what the pitman arm will fit, just ream to suit:grinpimp:

but isn't marlin and OTT and other mini parts places selling flat pitman arms for crossover on mini's? alot easier to find than XJ7X stuff.

afaik mini pitman splines are the same as cruiser splines.:idea:

but i'm not sure how you got your arms and links from luke.

hth's
crusty

mustard has it go'n on for ya!

Last edited:
Ok so a flat(er) pitman arm is good. I can look into that. What about the positioning of the PS gear box in relation to the axle? i.e. does it need to be in front of the axle? Can it be placed over the axle?

IanB said:
Ok so a flat(er) pitman arm is good. I can look into that. What about the positioning of the PS gear box in relation to the axle? i.e. does it need to be in front of the axle? Can it be placed over the axle?

Not the way the 40 series relay rod ties into the tie rod - it goes in front of the tie rod.

So the front of the pitman arm and relay rod need to be out front...

ian,

Spring it over first, then place your box, that way you know your steering G will be correct.

Don't build around shock mounts, if they are in the way, bend some hoops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom