Reverse Circuit - Low Voltwge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Installing a backup camera on my 91 FJ80 and am running into some issues tapping off the reverse light circuit. I’ve removed the rear driver side access panel and pulled a tap off the positive and negative wires that go to the reverse light. These taps wire to the barrel connector on the backup camera. In addition to the tap I’ve also spliced in an additional wire running off the positive wire up front to my Pioneer head unit as the reverse signal.

When I plug in the backup camera and put the truck in reverse the head unit triggers but it does not receive a signal from the camera and stays black. I’ve checked the voltage at the backup camera and it’s only receiving 9.5-10V. This is true when I check both the positive wire to the negative wire and the positive wire to a grounding point on the body.

My first thought was the reverse lights were super high resistance for some reason and causing the voltage drop so I removed them and nothing changed. Could the head unit be drawing voltage off the signal somehow? My remaining ideas for problem solving are cutting the head unit wire and checking voltage after that or cleaning all the contacts in any of the connectors between the taillights and the front of the car. I’m guessing I can figure out the relevant connectors from the FSM, but I’m a little wary of undoing too many as they’re 30 years old and pretty fragile...

Any other ideas?

When I did mine I tapped into the reverse lights in the harness next to the driver side door under the sill cover. Not sure if location makes a difference. Also check the settings on the head unit. Mine went black once and the setting was reversed. I switched it back and it worked. I think it happened when I unhooked the battery working on something else. It was a pioneer unit too.

I tapped mine between the reverse bulb and the harness, used a posi-tap. Super easy spot to do it. I’m pretty sure it’s the red with blue stripe, but you can follow it right off the bulb to be sure

D4394F05-913E-435D-9B67-8F634F069A8B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom