Rev counter/Tacho (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ron

Threads
Any of you guys have any ideas of how to fit a rev counter/tacho on my Bj40 diesel with out taking the counter from the front pully
The one i fitted to the front pully doesnt wwork to well in the mud and it gets bent out of shape with the muck thats picked up n dont work till we redo the bracket
Regds
Ron :cheers:

Out here in Canada the BJ60's came stock from the factory with tachometers. They run off a sensor on the bellhousing and a magnet (I'm guessing) in the flywheel.
If you can find a bellhousing, tach, flywheel and sensor from a BJ60 with the tach then you'd be fine.

Some speed sensors of this type that I have worked with trigger off the teeth of the ring gear on the flywheel.

I would look into the parts books for the loaction of this sensor, and see how different your flywheel housing is compared to the 60 series. You may be able to use this same system...

or not...Worth a look tho..

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve,
You reminded me of something. I think the BJ40 bellhousings are different only in the way that the tranny is supported. The BJ60's rear support is under the transmission and I think the BJ40's rear support is from the bellhousing like an FJ40.
Bell housing lengths are the same though.
The tacho sensor on the BJ60's runs off of some sort of proximity sensor, there is no gear drive or anything like that. The sensor is located at the 3 o'clock position on the bellhousing.

We are talking about the same thing, simply saying it different.

I have not seen any speed sensors in a flywheel housing that have a gear riding on the ring gear, creating a signal..

The space between the teeth on the ring gear brake the signal generated by the pickup coil/speed sensor off the teeth of the ring gear.

-Steve

Thanks guys
I will get into a scrapped 60 n see what i can find
regds
Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom