Reusing steering arm shims-old or new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm doing a 40-minitruck disk brake conversion and have read all of the threads.
I'm trying to decide whether to reuse my shims or use the SST tool. Being practical, and since I'm going to use the Marlin inner axle seals, I guess I'm inclined to just use the 'old' shims. But the question arises, which "old" seals do I use? Do I reuse the shims that came from the mini truck or the shims that come with the 40? And why?

Where does the misalignment come from? The knuckle or the axle housing?

if you are going to reuse the shims the only ones you can use are the mini truck ones .
your 40 ones won't fit the mini truck knuckle ,the mini truck shims are bigger

if i was going through the trouble to upgrade the knuckles i would source the SST.

when i did mine the mini truck shims weren't even close to centering the knuckle on the housing.
i did use the SST. and i did check the mini truck shims and they where off quite a bit .
i too used marlins seals and have not had a leak yet after centering the knuckle using the SST.
i also had to order shims from toyota the ones in the generic axle rebuild kit only came in two thicknesses.

i needed a few more shim options and the toyota ones are real pretty.

Hi All:

Yes, when swapping disc brake parts from one Toyota to another, it is a good idea to use the factory SST (Special Service Tool) to ensure the knuckles are centered properly.

From the factory, there are the correct thickness of shims for that knuckle on that axle tube. Swap the knuckles onto another axle tube and all bets are off!

Good luck!

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom