Builds Reunited after 20 years! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Life just got interesting here at the Rainman shop...

STPCHLD's engine seized up. F motor that had been rebuilt by Toyota several years ago. I don't think it had any miles on it since the build but it's been sitting for some 5 years or so. Ran fine for a very short drive in the yard then while tuning it, it locked up. I heard it abruptly stop after I shut it off yesterday. No noise, no bang, no clank, just a quick stop instead of a gradual one.

So. After a little grumbling, I believe the decision right now should be that I steal the 2F from MY45AGN and it's 4speed and replace the F and 3speed in STPCHLD. That means redoing the tranny hump and the drive shafts.

That also means I'm up for new ideas of what engine to put in the 45. I'm planing on a 5speed transmission and power steering. Maybe I go outside the box now? I'm not a huge "keep it pure" guy.

Man. Just ruined my day...

This just reminded me you called. So sorry.

I bet the Dissy was not fully seated. That’s likely the only reason that would happen. That or a non working oil pump but I’m going with the distributor.

Get a high output 2F for the 45 from @mosleymotors it’s the only way to “fly”

This just reminded me you called. So sorry.

I bet the Dissy was not fully seated. That’s likely the only reason that would happen. That or a non working oil pump but I’m going with the distributor.

Get a high output 2F for the 45 from @mosleymotors it’s the only way to “fly”
Hmmm... 🤔
Hadn’t thought of that but I started it about 5 or 6 times with it where it is. I’ll take a peak in the morning.

Listen to my message and call me back. Please.

Had an f seize years ago with a dizzy not seated causing lack of oil pressure. I pulled the dist, primed with a drill and it cranked right away. Put it back together and it ran fine for years! It was idling when it stopped running, so the bearings were not damaged.

Bummer. 3FE is always an option...

I think it used to be a fantastic option before the Holly Sniper. The Sniper is so easy it takes all the guesswork
Hmmm... 🤔
Hadn’t thought of that but I started it about 5 or 6 times with it where it is. I’ll take a peak in the morning.

Listen to my message and call me back. Please.

No idea on the wing window. Sorry.

Dizzy is installed correctly. Crap. I thought I was going to get by with an easier deal. No deal. Thanks for the hope though.

It just occurred to me that this truck has had an interesting engine life. In outline:

Started in '65 with an F engine.
Got a 327 small block installed at some point.
That got pulled for a Dodge Ram V10 in '98. Engine sat right next to the truck for a year. Never installed.
In December of '18, it got a 2F that has been sitting by it for 9 months. That's getting used in the STPCHLD.
So F, 327 V8, V10, 2F, then ?.

What's next in the progression? I'd love a 4L V6 like the one in my Tacoma but that's way above my paid grade and abilities.

Well, as of today, the 2F will not be headed into the garage to go into STPCHLD. I am intrigued about some other motor combo in this build but that's getting put off for a while. What appears to be a sweet deal so far landed in my lap. A very strong F motor is about to be on it's way up here from GA.

Not to bring it up for discussion again but:

Then it's a March '65. Not late.

But I'm going to claim April '65 and call it the 8th of that month. That way I can say it was finished on my 5th birthday.
Just 'cause I wanna!

Man, am I bored. No need to explain why I guess. Just figured I'd post here to keep from getting lost in the weeds. I had a good talk with a good mechanic buddy of mine a week or so ago and we talked about the engine I wanted in this. He assured me that we'd find just what I want and he'd help get it in the 45. SO. I think I'll end the debate for the foreseeable future with once again, going with the Toyota V6 and whatever transmission comes with it. My younger daughter today said she wanted to learn (again) how to drive a stick on the 45 when it's done, so that just may have made the final decision. Hey, if you can't please the kids, what did you have them for?

So I have to keep working on my friends GRNMCHN this year and hope to be done by the fall. THEN, I hope to be cranking at least some on the 45. I called it MY45AGN but that never really struck me as a good one. I may have to change it too.

I have a GREAT running 2F with 4 speed and transfer set up I'll most likely be selling. Weber carb. Transfer/tranny oil pressure release hose. T-case top plate reinforcement... plate... thingy.

Last edited:
I just couldn't stand it any longer. I just HAD to put the metal back on the front and pull the shattered windshield. Nothing under the hood but it's more fun to look at now. I'm sneaking in some time on it and making a master list of all that goes with it. It's more impressive than I remembered.

First time in over 20 years that the front end has been assembled. Or at least close to it.
front back on.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom