Return to center? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've lately notice that the wheels FJ40 don't seem to want to return to center after a turn or a curve on the highway.

I understand that this is mostly a function of castor, which is set by design at the factory and not adjustable, so I don't really understand why this is happening, unless there is something else I should be thinking of.

No wrecks, checked the tire pressure (fine), knuckle lube. Even took off the accessory steering damper to see if that had anything to do with it. Nope.

Am I missing something? I don't like the feeling that I'm gonna flip.

how about your toe in adjustment? i went to LesSwab last weekend and they did mine for free it was off by 1.53% it drives a little better now and doesnt follow ruts as bad. just a thought good luck with it

It's tracked pretty well for years, and I haven't changed anything. I guess I could check it, but I didn't think toe-in would affect centering.

have your springs sagged out??

how are the bushings in the shackles and the solid mount of the front springs?

shackles done up enough?

bent a housing :|

have you tried a replacement steering damper?

First suspect-steering center arm shaft. Ease out the adjustment 1/4 turn and pump it full of grease, then drive it.

Second suspect-knuckle bearing preload. Have to check this the standard way: steering rod disconnected and knuckle dust deflectors removed.

Fun, Fun, Fun

Of course it could just be low air pressure in the tires. ;p

bad_religion_au said:
have your springs sagged out??

how are the bushings in the shackles and the solid mount of the front springs?

shackles done up enough?

bent a housing :|

have you tried a replacement steering damper?

I think :) the springs/bushings/shackles look OK. The steering damper is a couple years old and the stocker in the stock position. Something to think about.

65swb45 said:
First suspect-steering center arm shaft. Ease out the adjustment 1/4 turn and pump it full of grease, then drive it.

Second suspect-knuckle bearing preload. Have to check this the standard way: steering rod disconnected and knuckle dust deflectors removed.

Fun, Fun, Fun

Of course it could just be low air pressure in the tires. ;p

Mark, the tire were at 30 psi, so that's out. I'll look at the steering center arm shaft next! Then, if I have to, knuckle bearing preload.

Thanks! I HOPE its the center arm.

Just ran out and did the centerarm adjust: road around the block, and it seems better already. I expect there'll be further impovement with use! :D :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom