Return fuel line? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a ‘73 40 that had an old GM carb on it when I got it, I now have a Toyota two barrel to replace it with. The question is, I see some carbs with a banjo fitting for the return line. Mine doesn’t have that, looks like I can add one, but do I need to? The return line was capped off for the other carb.
Thanks

Common question on here. Many don’t run one and have no issues. But it might depend on your environment.

I used to not have one (Ford, then Weber carb) and had a lot of vapor lock issues. I have a OEM carb and a factory return now via the fuel pump. No more vapor lock issues, but I’m also not running in the SW desert heat like I used to.

IIRC JimC (FJ40Jim) liked the factory carb fuel return setup the best. His user name is a good one to search on this topic. I’m not sure it’s that easy to add a fitting to a carb that doesn’t come with one.

If you don’t add one and run into any issues, you can very easily add a generic inline fuel filter between your pump and carb that has a third barb for a fuel return. They are generally found on your local auto parts shelf.

If you’re really worried about having a return line, buy the’79 fuel pump AND SPACER from Toyotamatt and consider your concern handled.

The 73/74 design was half-assed( the boss on the air horn was/is not beefy enough for the task) leading to premature failure. It is the #1 reason people seek out replacement air horns for those two model years.

To any and all reading this, if you find this tech useful, consider hitting the like button.

Switch to a fuel pump variant with the return line at the pump, late model 2F or the non-US 3F is often used as well.

D3305191-D138-489B-9CC0-E5F547FF3B5E.jpeg

7F3ED4ED-8D3B-4346-94B4-58BA8377D43A.jpeg

FF18BE68-6EDB-436C-A77E-96335BB8D751.jpeg

If you’re really worried about having a return line, buy the’79 fuel pump AND SPACER from Toyotamatt and consider your concern handled.

The 73/74 design was half-assed( the boss on the air horn was/is not beefy enough for the task) leading to premature failure. It is the #1 reason people seek out replacement air horns for those two model years.

To any and all reading this, if you find this tech useful, consider hitting the like button.
Awesome advice. Thanks. BTW replacement/ correct carburetor is from you,

Mark, what about ‘75-‘78 years? Was the boss improved prior to moving the return to the fuel pump? They obviously moved it for a reason.

Mark, what about ‘75-‘78 years? Was the boss improved prior to moving the return to the fuel pump? They obviously moved it for a reason.
Yes. 75-78 was definitely superior. Just clumsy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom