Retrofitting Hubcap Clips on Modern Steelies (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CycloSteve

SILVER Star
Threads
OK, has anyone added hubcap clips to modern steel wheels? I have found a few references to using the early VW style ones with FJ40 and FJ60 15" and 16" wheels.

I am contemplating going with a set of Tacoma or FJCruiser steelies for my HDJ45 project, and have already purchased a set of Majojo's OEM style 1960s hubcaps. The truck is SOA with 60 series axles, and is sitting on a loaner set of 37" tires while being built at Valley Hybrids. I am looking at getting a set of tall-skinnies (285/75x17).

Looking at wheels like this, which are readily available on the cheap, and have good backspacing.

attachment.php

Here is how she sits on 37" tires

picture.php

That said, none of the modern wheels have clips, and Stockton wheel so far has said that they cannot build a set of 16" or 17" with clips (which seems odd to me).

So, looking for anyone who has successfully transformed "new" steel wheels into hubcap compatible wheels.

:cheers:

Steve

Not a modern wheel, but I had a wheel with a broken clip. I just bent a rectangular strip of 16ga sheet metal to match the clips on the wheel and plug welded it where the rivet used to be. Looks right, works right.

It wouldn't be too hard to fab the clips you need and weld them to your wheels. Good luck.

Fab up a bracket that mounts under the lugs and then bolt the cap to it. You won't have to worry about them falling off that way.

For a reference find a wire wheel mount for an 80's chrysler

subscribed

I have 5 of the Taco 16" wheels that I am going to fit with 255/85s for the 80.
I thought about doing this as well. Interested in how it will look.

I ended up with a set of split rims which are serving as donors for a Stockton Wheel re-barrel to 17" x 8" with a 5" BS. These will be my daily runner wheels with a set of Toyo 285 75 R17 Open Country MT. Georg picked up a set of VW clips which will be retrofitted to run my hubcaps. Will have them powder coated in OEMish grey.

Will likely keep looking for a set of FJC wheels to setup with a set of dedicated 37" tires for wheeling. Rock rings, etc would be the game with these.

Will post up pics once the wheels come in from Stockton Wheel.

Steve

Getting there. This is the sample split-rim, re-barreled. Looks quite good, but will need to go with 4.75" BS, as just a wee bit too close to the TRE for comfort.

Have a set of the VW clips to mount one they are all done, then off to the powdercoater.

Steve

picture.php

Yersterday i went to a 1930-1990 scrap yard only American cars.
And on picture Gm and Chevrolet seem to have the same clip as Toyota, but the dimension are bad :whoops:!!!!!!! Look right only on pic not in the real world ... (2 patern of clip were used )

So i wish Vw's clips will fit ....
Do you aleready test them ?
Are they from a Beetle ?

Marc

I ordered some Stockton wheels and type 1 VW clips, haven't gotten the wheels yet, but here's the difference between the LC clip and VW. VW being on the right. I set the clip angle up the same, but you can see the mounting is short and different angle. They might still be doable. The LC clip is a heck of a lot more robust, as with everything.

IMG_2292.jpg

Apologies for not posting the final results earlier. Stockton Wheel did not use the VW clips, as they were too shallow to hold the hubcaps. They used ones which were from early GM/Chevy pickups. The color is GR21 with clear 02 to give them more of a flat look.

toyota17x8steelies-jpeg.879525

Apologies for not posting the final results earlier. Stockton Wheel did not use the VW clips, as they were too shallow to hold the hubcaps. They used ones which were from early GM/Chevy pickups. The color is GR21 with clear 02 to give them more of a flat look.

toyota17x8steelies-jpeg.879525
I know this is a very old post but could you post a photo of the wheels on your rig with hubcaps on. I have spoken to stockton they didn't seem interested. It might have been that I wanted the wheel widened to 9.5 inches to the outside so the 3.5 inch back spacing was maintained.

The truck is still in-process. Had to swap the motor into my 80. Wheels are on, but the hub caps not on there yet, sorry. Stockton took quite a long time to deal with getting these done, so you may need to be patient. The offset is perfect for my setup with 60 axles.

full

I wonder if the FJ40 OEM caps would fit?

These are "old" style FJ40/45 hubcaps, though repops and now unobtanium. They fit perfectly. I would have no qualms about mounting new or old style hubcaps on these clips as they have a nice solid snap to them.

Steve
I have some of those caps they are so nice. However having some trouble finding split rims to copy your project. Any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom