Retractable Antenna Works, Does Not Stay Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 LX450 - anyone ever had this issue? When I start the vehicle the antenna powers up fine and stays up for about 60-120 seconds and then powers itself back down.

If i just want to replace antenna with a fixed antenna how hard is this to do? I have heard you need to take off the front quarter panel which I would rather not do.

97 LX450 - anyone ever had this issue? When I start the vehicle the antenna powers up fine and stays up for about 60-120 seconds and then powers itself back down.

If i just want to replace antenna with a fixed antenna how hard is this to do? I have heard you need to take off the front quarter panel which I would rather not do.

Have a similar issue. This fixes all the issues in 5 min! AntennaMastsRus - Conversion Kit is Compatible with Toyota Land Cruiser (1990-08-1996) Amazon product ASIN B07BB5YKDN

Thank you! Going to order.
Do you have rough install directions? Do you need to remove quarter panel to take out old antenna?

its literally the same as installing a new mast. Undo the bolt holding the mast in place, use buttons to move and remove the mast and cable, instert this, rebolt the new mast. 5 min tops!

I thought this wasn’t a problem until our rigs got into their 50’s.

Do you have stock or aftermarket radio? The usual antenna problem is it’s either working or not. If it’s going all the way up and down I’d look at the radio or switch.

I thought this wasn’t a problem until our rigs got into their 50’s.

Do you have stock or aftermarket radio? The usual antenna problem is it’s either working or not. If it’s going all the way up and down I’d look at the radio or switch.
Its the stock radio. Although there is some sort of weird red wire connected to the battery (not stock for sure) that appears to be going to the antenna. Maybe it is a short circuit or something - but I am an electrical idiot so no clue ha.

Ok soooooo I solved this problem with a 12 dollar "jeep" antenna and 20 cent bolt. Let me explain....

1. So first you will need this kit... Jeep whip antenna (ONLY $12). It comes with a bunch of attachments but only need 1. The male / female attachment to be exact.
2. Remove your old antenna from the truck and UNSCREW the end cap of the antenna. I didn't believe it could be unscrewed but it can be, see below. It will release the retractable part of the antenna from the housing / casing and the part that the gears mesh with to drive the assembly up and down. You will ONLY need the casing, with the rubber gasket.
3. Take the new antenna and attach the male female end to it. It will fit PERFECTLY into the housing you just removed!
4. Obtain a bolt from the hardware store. 2.5 inches is exactly what you'll need. I do not remover the pitch or gauge though... just take the male female attachment and make sure it screws in. The bolt will go into the bottom of the assembly and the new antenna will screw into it.. The bolt sandwiches everything together and keeps it in one piece. I used blue locktite to make sure it wouldn't rattle loose.
5. FILE the F---- out of the end of the bolt so it fits into the housing on the truck. See below, you will see it very rounded. It will take a bit but go slow and keep checking! You want it thin enough (diameter) to go into the housing but wide enough so it doesn't slip through the housing thats on the antenna that you pulled out from the old antenna, that holds it all together.
6. Assembly everything and install!

A $12 fix, no need to remove the motor, no need for a Tacoma mod, no need to buy the conversion kit. IT JUST WORKS!

IMG_5237-2.jpg

IMG_5241-2.jpg

IMG_5242-2.jpg

IMG_5244-2.jpg

IMG_5245-2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom