Retirement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after 25 years of service, I have retirement orders in hand. It has been a good ride. The army gave me purpose, direction, confidence, and paid the bills. This Valentine’s Day is my last day in uniform! Excited for the coming chapter in my life.

Congrats man!
I have 20.5hrs in now. Looking at starting the process in February 2021 w/retirement of 2022.Unless the economy is garbage next year I may delay it a few years. Got until 2024 to reach HYT.
I also feel like the Military (Air Force for me) has done many good things for the family and I. No matter what we do after our honorable service I feel we have been groomed for success.
good luck and hope the transition goes well!

Congrats man!
I have 20.5hrs in now.

I generally only counted down hours, when approaching a job change or retirement.;)

Although I retired 8/1/1988, I still remember well the excitement of bringing my USAF career to an end and entering the civilian job market. I also remember that last year... it got longer and longer before it was done.

I hope everything works out for you and you are able to work your plan, without interruption.

I had to delay my second retirement for three years, due to the 2008 subprime fiasco. So, I can tell you, if you have to delay, you’re in a good place, with a paying job, that you seem to enjoy.

This too shall pass.

Congrats!

I am creeping up on the 1 year mark since retirement...Things are good. I can send over some detailed info on the VA disability process if you'd like. It is a pain, but worth it.

Cheers!

Dan

Well after 25 years of service, I have retirement orders in hand. It has been a good ride. The army gave me purpose, direction, confidence, and paid the bills. This Valentine’s Day is my last day in uniform! Excited for the coming chapter in my life.
Congrats, When I was in the navy there were running jokes about career guys and referred to them as lifers.
I am sure it is so in all the branches.
I have people thank me for my service but it is the lifers that are the backbone of the military branches and the ones that should be thanked the most, so again, congratulations and thanks for your service.
I was in for a little under four years and when I got out in 1970 my wife claims I retired but didn't bother tell her about it.

Congrats!

I am creeping up on the 1 year mark since retirement...Things are good. I can send over some detailed info on the VA disability process if you'd like. It is a pain, but worth it.

Cheers!

Dan
I need to try to register. I have no service related injuries. I do not even know if my records are properly archived because my name was misspelled on my discharged papers. For all I know I am still in. Maybe they owe me back pay since 1995 :lol:

Congrats on retirement. My Civil Service career will end sometime in the next 4 years. I am eligible to retire January 21, 2021.

I don’t know now with Covid, but it use to be you just went down there and registered. Call the nearest hospital and ask. You don’t need to be service connected, before I was service connected I had to pay a portion and wasn't qualified for as much. But it’s still worth it.

1609008109116.gif

👍🏻...Thank you gentlemen !

I need to try to register. I have no service related injuries. I do not even know if my records are properly archived because my name was misspelled on my discharged papers. For all I know I am still in. Maybe they owe me back pay since 1995 :lol:

Congrats on retirement. My Civil Service career will end sometime in the next 4 years. I am eligible to retire January 21, 2021.

If you have the paperwork, misspellings or not, you should be fine. Just give them a call and explain things. If you have any photos or other service docs, those will help also. No guarantees, but 1990s records should be available. They'll have to look under your misspelled name and your correct name, but the SSN is the key. You may not think you have any injuries, but you'd be surprised what you likely qualify for. The easy button here is to get in touch with the local DAV. They can walk you through the process, and it is free!

An easy way to check if you are in the system is to create a real id account. Enter your ssn and date of service, and if it goes through, you are in the system.
Cheers!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom