Rethinking my drivetrain – thinking about ditching the doubler (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good morning gentlemen, hope everybody had a good weekend. The engine is out on my 68S BC conversion and will be getting a new donor engine, and that’s prompted me thinking about digging deep and redoing the transmission and driveline assembly.

I currently have a TH 350 connected to a NP203 double connected to a standard FJ40 Toyota transfer case. I’m thinking about installing a four-speed automatic connected to the Toyota transfer case and dropping the NP203 because the rig will have more than enough power to climb without a doubler and I’m not going to be doing rock crawling in it. This would allow me to shorten the drive assembly and move the transfer case closer to the front of the rig, and that should allow me to finish the twin stick conversion .

Any thoughts or suggestions to pass along?

Thanks!

Since I also never was a rock crawler, I think you'd be very happy with a 700R4 adapted directly to your Toyota transfer-case. That way you get a lower 1st gear than the TH350 has, you get an over-drive high gear for the highway, and you can sell your take-out parts for enough to pay for the new project- - -easy deal.

Since I also never was a rock crawler, I think you'd be very happy with a 700R4 adapted directly to your Toyota transfer-case. That way you get a lower 1st gear than the TH350 has, you get an over-drive high gear for the highway, and you can sell your take-out parts for enough to pay for the new project- - -easy deal.

Good morning and thank you for the response. I think that is a winner.

I'll have to re-do the re-done prop shaft but so what....

Thanks!

"stuching" here on Mud has a 700R4 listed in the classified ads, he is also in So Cal. Check with him to see what short shaft his tranny has, then check with AA to see what shaft their 700R4 adapter needs- - -hopefully the output shaft in stuching's tranny is already correct for your conversion.

I’m thinking lil' John had early to mid 1980’s trannys, before GM and all tranny shops came up with the cure for their ails. I believe Art Carr transmission company came up with the first cure, the rest is history. By mid 1980's the 700R4's were as good as any.

Thanks for the discussion. Art built a nice transmission for my Jensen, was thinking of getting a core 7004R and bring it over to them.

Let me research split cases...

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom