Rethinking 5-speed need. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So having begun with grandiose plans about swapping out for some sortive overdrive drive-train another thought has popped up (rare event..thoughts).

At 2600rpm sounds/feels noisy, but the rig is still essentially a tin can. ..

I have a couple oem 4-speeds and one extra transfer case...

1)rebuild this transfer case or replace outright with Orion.
2) rebuild (if needed) 4-speed.

Spend the rest of effort & $$ on creature comfort type stuff?

1) Re-do exhaust system geared more toward silencing than noise?
2) dampening/insulating material on interior of body to include some sort've headliner for hard top?

I only really need to drive 65mph about 6 miles one- way on my route to work>

conjurings, bsings, ideas welcomed.

I originally wanted an overdrive...

then realized for much less money I could get a VERY low first gear (Sm420) and run large tires. (darn I really didn't want to).

Really, sound deading and no vibration is the most important thing. You could also swap in some 3.70 gears. Works fine with up to 33" tires and a 4 spd.

You could spend the extra $$ on an avation style intercom with ANR headphones. Yes they are legal since they only block steady low frequency sounds like engine and Tire hum. They still allow you to hear high frequency sounds like horns and sierens. You can pipe your stero through them and they allow conversation (full duplex) with your passenger. You can also hook your CB into the system and add a PTT button on a lapel clip.

Not that I've thought about this. ;)

Hi All:

I ditto "CruisinGA" on this one!

A granny-low four speed transmission, and grossly-oversize tires, or 3.7 ratio diffs will give you crawl and keep the RPMs down on the freeway. Relatively cheap, as well, in comparison to swapping-in a five speed transmission.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Great ideas fellas. Updated sig to show rigs current data.

A true 37 tire would change 65mph rpm to 2426 vs. the 2602 I get with the 34.5 (35 mtrs).

She stops being pleasant above 2200 or so RPM.

This is going to be a Winter project, but time will still be limited as I have succeeded biologically speaking.

Anybody using a 'molded' rubber carpet type kit ? Sources likes/dislikes? DIY ideas tried?

Last edited:
Planet_X;

Many moons ago, when I still had the orig mat that came with the truck, I used the mat as a template to cut out some sound deadening foam pad and out door carpet. Once I got it installed the road noise almost gone and it looked like a caddy inside; I even leather covered the dash pad with left over deer hunting hide.

dfmorse said:
Planet_X;

Many moons ago, ; I even leather covered the dash pad with left over deer hunting hide.

Ha ha Fj with the 'leather upgrade package', pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom