Resurrection of my old 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, been a cruiser buff for a lot of years. Have owned three different 40's and a 60. I gave it (1985 FJ-60) to my dad about 10 years ago and he parked it in his backyard about 7 years ago.
I want a new FJ Cruiser, but my fiancee said, innocently enough, "why don't you fix up the one in your dad's backyard instead." I got to thinking about it and thought, "yeah, why don't I?" Now about $300 into the project I've hit a SNAFU. Here is a list of everything I've done so far:

New Starter
drained old gas
changed oil and filters
refilled with new gas and stabilizer
new battery

She's turning over just fine, but won't catch. We figured out that the fuel isn't getting to the engine, we figured out even further that the fuel isn't getting to the fuel filter up in the engine comparment. Any of you FJ-60 fanatics, have any insight as to the best place to start looking for the problem? It isn't the fuel pump, because when we disconnected the fuel line at the carb, it was spitting fuel that must've been left in the line. It's got to be somewhere between the tank and the fuel filter. Anyone done a similar project with a similar problem?

Fuel lines, fuel uptake? I thought of blowing compressed air back through the line from behind the filter to see if it's just lightly clogged, what do you all think.

She's a 1985 FJ-60, red and rusty, but she was trusty as hell before she was parked and I've got the engine turning over very strongly now, but she needs some dino juice.

Now my fiancee is angry that I'm spending so much time at my folks place with my old cruiser, she should've just let me buy the damn FJ Cruiser. Oh well, too late to turn back now, I look forward to any advice.

Matt

If you are going to blow air through the line make sure you take the cap off the tank and only use light air pressure. Light as in blow through it with your mouth.

Did you ask your father why he parked it? Was it a running problem?

I tried blowing from the filter back with my mouth and I just about popped an anurism. Couldn't get it to go. He parked it becouse the strater went out on it and he didn't like the gas mileage. Thanks for the tip.

How full is the gas tank? I would drain it if there is not much so you can unhook all the lines and make sure they are clear & and clean. After you getting it running, make sure to install a fresh fuel filter. Unhook the battery while you are working if you are pulling off fuel lines and got fumes and fuel leaking.

I would drain and refill the transmission,transfer case, and both differentials before you drive it much.

Drain the coolant and refill with 50/50 antifreeze/ DI water.

Pull the air cleaner housing top off and inspect the air filter and make sure you don't have any dead varmits in there.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, it's all good info. I'm not going to be able to work on the truck again until about two weeks from now, but I'll get her running yet.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom