Results on Conversion of 350 from Carb to Fuel Injection (1 Viewer)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I am giving the shop my old motor as a Core.

Yes They are building a 383 using new and fully refurbed block. After going over the options I decided to have them install new Air Flow Research Heads. They will be using new components to build the rest of the internal engine and my external components I currently have to finish it off.

He has a Dyno in shop and tunes his builds so I will get a Dyno plot with the completed job and be able to compare to what I have now

Ken,

I'm sorry to hear of your engine troubles. I know you put a lot of thought into the purchase and wanted to buy a trouble-free rig. You did your "due-diligence" and didn't rush to buy the first vehicle you found.

Best of luck with the new engine!

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Thanks,:beer:
I could probably live with this engine for a while, but you are right. The entire goal here is to have a troublefree cruiser. As a friend put it, my dream cruiser. And now that I have gotten both kids through college and helped both kids buy their own houses, I can afford to get this right

Now if only I could get the kids to get their crap out of my basement :)

Thanks,:beer:
I could probably live with this engine for a while, but you are right. The entire goal here is to have a troublefree cruiser. As a friend put it, my dream cruiser. And now that I have gotten both kids through college and helped both kids buy their own houses, I can afford to get this right

Now if only I could get the kids to get their crap out of my basement :)
What shop installed your EFI and tuned it?? Maybe you mentioned it but I didn't see it. I am in Colorado as well.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
They are good guys, Colorado Speed and Chassis. They were recommended to me by Ben at Slee off Road. Its in Aurora just north of Alameda on Havana

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Installed yesterday, making final adjustments and then a Dyno. I am excited

The old engine was pulled and obviously was never rebuilt as advertised.

E0.JPG
e1.JPG
eng.JPG

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
It is an air pump and they are hooking it to the bottom of the header so it will have some functionality, but not as much as if it was routed to each cyl. The engine as is will be a lot cleaner than a 2F.

I can always take the belt of the air pump. I have collector plates so I have 4.5 years till I need to pass emissions again

It's very likely they can tune the ECM so it runs cleaner than original smog requirements without AIR. If the ECM doesn't support AIR (I'm guessing it doesn't but could be wrong) then injecting air will make it much harder to tune. Is the injection point going to be upstream or downstream of the O2 sensor? Even if it's downstream it may still affect O2 readings depending on location and cam.

BTW, a CS144 will probably fit in that alternator bracket.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Actually, they are not installing the air pump because it rubs with the Alt belt as can be seen in the picture above. It's just all setup for me to install for emissions and then take it off.

Thanks for the tip on the other alternator.

They did install the Charcoal canister near the back with an input back into the engine so I won't be smelling fuel when the tank gets pressurized.

Engine is in and they are just finishing up minor details before adding fluids and starting it up. Hope to get it back tomorrow

Actually, they are not installing the air pump because it rubs with the Alt belt as can be seen in the picture above. It's just all setup for me to install for emissions and then take it off.

Thanks for the tip on the other alternator.

They did install the Charcoal canister near the back with an input back into the engine so I won't be smelling fuel when the tank gets pressurized.

Engine is in and they are just finishing up minor details before adding fluids and starting it up. Hope to get it back tomorrow

You might look into the smog pump being mounted to far forward as I believe it is supposed to be driven by the same belt as the alternator, at least mine was before I removed it.

I am putting a charcoal canister and catalytic converters on my FJ40. I hate the fuel smell, and, since I'm pretty public in my 4x4ing (doing SAR), being extra clean makes a lot of points with the rational people....

It's possible the ECM supports a charcoal canister purge solenoid. If so see about using it as the ECM will time when to purge based on running conditions rather than always on.

A little concern that I have here...

There wasn't mention that issues were present in the engine with the carb setup.... and you also stated that the distributor was swapped out by the shop.

Yet, after the EFI setup was completed - that's when the decline of the engine took place.

On SBC's the distributor locks in with the oil pump - and if done incorrectly, it will not turn the oil pump. Does your rig have an oil pressure gauge, and if so, what was it reading before and after?

If the rings weren't installed property and/or didn't seat properly - then the thicker oil could have been hiding the issue. Putting thinner oil in may not have caused the leaks - but that cylinder pressures are building in the crankcase and as such, are blowing gaskets out.

From my perspective - it seems like multiple shops may have contributed to some of the issues now present... This is why I am of the mindset that it's important for people (who are car people) should understand how to work on their vehicles. The hardest part of learning to work on a car really is having the confidence to start. Especially in the days of the internet - you can Google just about anything to assist, add in forums like this and learning becomes a whole lot easier. Lastly - you have a vehicle that has a cult following - almost guaranteed there's someone in a 10 mile radius who does know how to work on rigs and would love to help you work on yours... if you supply beer and pizza, that is ;)

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I appreciate your perceptive and comments

They engine ran fine after the Fuel Injection install. It wasn't till I changed the two months after that when the problems started. That's when the engine felt worse as well. I am really happy with this shop and they were recommended by a cruiser head. Without charging me more and he should have, they fixed a bunch of minor stuff as they saw it when they replaced the engine. They also could have just left the damaged power steering line and steering linkage that wasn't in good shape and a list of other things. They warrantied their work for a year and will change the oil at 500 miles and recheck everything at 1000 miles including another Dyno test

I don't recall what it was reading before. I still have the jug of old oil and it is very thick

Here is the engine installed and it runs great
eng1.JPG

Here is the Dyno plot comparing this to the old engine. Both with EFI. Power is measured at the wheels
Dyno.JPG

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
I should also mention that the old engine was not rebuilt, the freeze plugs were corroded and leaking and there was sludge under the manifold and in the heads. Just further info that this shop didn't cause the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom