Results of Mobil 1 0w-40, (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the SL version of M1 mean?

DougM

short hand for American Petroleum Institute Service Categories in gasoline engines it is a minimum standard of quality that oils that carry the API starburst and doughnut must adhere to, the minimum evolves over time, when my LX was produced API SH was the standard and is called for in the owners manual, until recently SL was the current standard, it is being replaced by SM, there is some debate by those who follow this closer than I about weather SM was truly an upgrade,

After posting that I have been reading more about SM vs SL , found this Virgin Oil analysis of and debate about the new Mobil 1 0w-40 SM interesting.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000275

Apparently this was SL anything in the stores now will most likely be SM

in other posts there I have read about GM complaining that some anti wear additives can poison the cats, so the API has called for a reduction in certain anti waer additives, other say this will cause the oil companies to use more exotic additives and base stocks witch may be a good thing,

A similar governing body exists in Europe, the Acea European Automobile Manufacturers Association witch has a very different rating system instead of just a moving minimum they have grades where oils get a rating based on tests, the harder tests can generally only be passed by synthetics.

Mobil 1 0w-40 was interesting as it carried not only an API rating and also ACEA ratings. These are required for warranty purposes on some European vehicles.

More info

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=46732

Interesting note, about this time Mobil regrouped their oil line including synthetics, the brand new Mobil one Extended Performance line (15,000 mile) is rated SL. no Acea ratings.

I may have to move to the M1 EP line, need to read and watch soem more. just wish I could find the EP 10w-40 for sale. 15w-50 works but is likely thicker than optimum for my climate. may be perfect for back home in FL though.

RavenTai said:
I may have to move to the M1 EP line, need to read and watch soem more. just wish I could find the EP 10w-40 for sale. 15w-50 works but is likely thicker than optimum for my climate. may be perfect for back home in FL though.

It seems like the 10w-40 EP exists only on Mobil's website. No sign of it locally either. At my last change, I tried blending, 6 quarts 0w-40 and 2 quarts of Redline 10w-40. Seems to be working pretty well, no consumption in 2000 miles, including a fast hard 1200 mile trip where I would have normally used a quart.

A rare few on BITOG have found the 10w-40 EP for sale,

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011066#000000
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011067#000000

Not sure why it is so hard to find, there is a huge gap between 10w-30 (10.5 cst) and 15w-50 (18 cst) vs 10w-40's 14.2 cst, seams that it would be the best weight for many auto's out there including our land cruisers when in temperate climates. I wonder if Mobil is afraid of cannibalizing its T&S 5w-40 (14.8 cst) market?

I am hesitant to use the T&S after my crummy report with Delvac 1, it probably was not the oil that caused it but still hard to try it again as my motor just may not like it, dono.....

An oddity the 10w-40 and 15w-50 are both SM & A3 wile the 5w-30 and 10-30 are SL, A1 & A5 none are GF-4

What are you looking for in the mix? Redline is thicker correct? Better HTHS? Ester? Or just help with the consumption?

Looking foreword to any results you can tell us about this mix.

it is recomended to run a cheap dino with AutoRx, partly because of the short OCI (why waste the money) and also because strong addatives found in synthetics can suposedly slow down the action of Arx

Wal-mart supertech is the cheapest i could think of, it is blended by WPP in my area.

I am just about at the and of the first 1500 mile phase, 3 more to go. so far nothing to report.

after that I will most likely be back in Mobil 1 of one flavor or another.

RavenTai said:
What are you looking for in the mix? Redline is thicker correct? Better HTHS? Ester? Or just help with the consumption?

Looking foreword to any results you can tell us about this mix.

I was interested in seeing how it affects consumption and beefing up the SM M1 0w-40. The Redline is supposed to be about the same thickness, but actually seems to thin out a bit at high temps (On the same climbs that the 0w-40 alone was at one point on the guage, the mix will actually be a couple of needle widths lower). I only tried it since Dave at Redline and Mobil say you can mix.

Just to note in my area, I can get redline for $6.25 a quart so there isn't a big price difference. I am not sold on running redline by itself with all the mixed UOA's on Bobistheoilguy.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom