Results of manual boost controller. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ahve now have my manual boost controller installed for about 10 days now and thought I would post my results.
After first installing the controller I noticed a definate increase in power only in the upper end of power as crushers had suggested. While going up a hill under load there was a lot more power and that power seems to not drop off until I reach higher rpms. I also have had less black smoke under full load which tells me I am using that fuel now instead of wasting it,I have yet to turn up my fuel asI wanted to see how it performed without doing that. All in all I am very happy with the controller but have a few questions.

I went away to my cabin this weekend, about a 500 km drive from vancouver to 70 mile house area. On the way there the truck performed flawlessly. It under load would come up to the 12 lb mark and sit there no problems. On the way home today I started to notice that the boost was acting erratic sometimes(all of this under load) going to 14lbs then dropping off to 6 then slowly rising to 12 then maybe dropping to 10 and then sometimes coming up to 12 and then holding there like it should. I am wondering what could be some of the causes of this. The truck itself seemed to be running great and only noticed once where it felt like Iwas under powered while being under load and what should be a high boost senario.

Am I doing damage,should I remove this controller gizmo or is it maybe a leak under higher boost conditions(I didnt fell like the was any loose clamps and such?

I thought that might be the problem. I am going to remove it today and make another one as I bought two grainger valves to begin with. I was thinking maybe the spring failed?

Motor is a 12-ht. Factory turbo.

crushers said:
faulty control, replace with another one...
14 psi will not cause any problems...

he's a 12h-t in a hj61

ya maybe the grainer valve is screwing up.......

You lost boost under heavy load .. and without load all come fine . ? I thought maybe is from wastegate loosing pressure down your boost.

What kind of spring are you using in the valve? Is it meant for heat applications?
You would need one with some nickel or other hitemp alloy for it to retain its -K factor. I wonder if its just to torturous for the metal type?

If that is how you are configured.

silvercrusher said:
What kind of spring are you using in the valve? Is it meant for heat applications?
You would need one with some nickel or other hitemp alloy for it to retain its -K factor. I wonder if its just to torturous for the metal type?

If that is how you are configured.

Not sure what the spring is made of. I have the valve right off a tee right beside the exhaust manifold so when I take it off I will be re-routing the valve so it is farther away from the manifold. I think once I move the whole assembly farther away from the manifold that would greatly reduce the temp of the controller. I dont think the temp of the air itself inside the intake plenum and controller would have an effect on the spring, I would think it would be heat soaking instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom