restoring data plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The underhood engine data plate on my FJ45 (like many) is corroded and fairly ugly. But, the black sections (like that containing the word 'Toyota') are painted directly on the aluminum - not embossed.

Has anyone found a way to spruce up these data plates without removing the black paint or otherwise doing more harm than good?

Thanks,

Steve

I suppose you could give it a little wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper and then use polishing compuond then use car wax? I suppose its worth a try? ill try it

I second the wet sanding. After that I would clear coat the thing. Be real careful as the paint does come off easily. You may want to try your hand at the shift plate off of the glove box first, that way you can get a process down with a part that is pretty easily replaced.

Make a new one :grinpimp:

MVC-425X.JPG

foxfab said:
Make a new one :grinpimp:

MVC-425X.JPG

Then any cruiser can be yours. very nice.

ok so i wet sanded it with 2000, and it still looks the exact same. soooo then i used rubbing compund, made it a bit better. then waxed it and made it a little better. so I would actually wet sand it, then use a polishing compund and a dremel with a buffer wheel on a low speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom