Restoring a Right Hand Drive 89 LN106 Double Cab Hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,

I decided to join the community and post about my 1989 Hilux I bought a few years ago and am finally getting around to restoring. I am the lucky guy that managed to find a JDM Hilux in the USA with a owner that was not much of a car guy. He just knew he saw Hilux's in Iraq and had to have one. Well after a few years the novelty wore off as finding people to work on the truck was not easy, finding parts was not easy and when the rear pinion decided to start scream he decided it was time for him to sell it off. Lucky for me he posted it terribly as a Diesel Toyota and I was able to get it for relatively reasonable considering a decent one goes for +20K. This truck has it issue and well as of now I have it in a few pieces repairing rust and getting it ready for paint... So far the bed is done but I still have the cab and not to mention some of the mechanical. Anyways below are some pics.

I also have a 77 Celica my dad and I restored when I was younger that I decided to tempt you with a pic, but this is a off road forum so you only get one! LOL

If you want to keep up a little more I post a lot more on instagram @buildandadventure

XTBK8352[1].JPG

IMG_7355[1].PNG

Hilux.jpg

KPOJ1095[1].JPG

RVTT4327[1].JPG

Go the RHD crew ;)
Looks like a labour of love ahead go you good thing

hilux9 (2).jpg

No worries Hilux parts are a dime a dozen.... There's always trucks getting parted out on FB market place and the like. Prices are cheap too.
My 80 has the factory H151F manual its help up fine for 7-8 years behind the 6.0

My LN106 has an R151F with Dyna 5th and the Marlin crawler dual cases. Best mod on any 4x4 I've ever done is that doubler :)

hilux console.jpg

🤔

Love it, did you start a thread about this a few years ago? I feel like the celica is dejavu
I did! But it was under a diffrent name... couldn’t remember the password and decided I would like to keep everything with my Instagram and gmail I made for it.
Love it, did you start a thread about this a few years ago? I feel like the celica is dejavu

🤔
Yeah that was it!

Hey Yall,

So I have done some cutting and welding and thought I would share, I also have cleaned out the front half of the rocker the best I could with a 1/4 in rod welded to a wire wheel, a shop vac and then rust encapsulated it to prevent moisture attacking the metal... I will also be using some type of wax seal in the rockers once done making it where the rust should not return and if it does it will be a very long time from now. The Other rocker is sold but will be getting the clean out and seal treatment just in case. The other rust holes are also patched in the first pic... but I forgot to take pics of it.

If you want Instagram video (reel) of the progress check the link below out!
BuildAndAdventure

Repaired Rusty rain gutter.jpg
Missing a Door.jpg

gone Rocker.jpg

Sorry Everyone,
Been working hard trying to beat the snow fall and praying for it stay away this year. Well it finally snowed but I have gotten a lot done since my last post. For the most part the rust has been patched. All that is left are rear doors and a small bad spot in the passenger floor. But since those can be taken care of in the spring. I moved on to painting the cab and taking care of the rear half of the chassi. Along with removing the rust of the radiator support and painting it in a rust encapsulate for the spots that were difficult to get 100% rust free. I am hoping it won't bite me later but if it does luckily I can just order a NEW radiator support here for a Toyota Pickup (Which is probably what I have should have done with all the broken bolts that got drilled and either extracted or tapped)
Rocker Repaired.png
Rocker Repaired 2.png
Cab w 2 coats of paint.png
Frame Painted.png
Painted Cab Front.png
Painted Cab Rear.png

Subscribed! I just bought a '95 RN106L. (yes LHD!)

Keep up the good work and keep the RHD flag flying. I've been acquiring some used suspension parts to keep the $ spend down and she's lookin' sharp.
I dont envy the rust removal chore but good pics keep en comin.

hilux.jpg

Subscribed! I just bought a '95 RN106L. (yes LHD!)
I want to see some pics!!!
Keep up the good work and keep the RHD flag flying. I've been acquiring some used suspension parts to keep the $ spend down and she's lookin' sharp.
I dont envy the rust removal chore but good pics keep en comin.
Thank ALX. Yours is a beauty!!!

So for updates. Unfortunately, I am in Michigan and it is cold and my tiny garage is able to house the Hilux, Celica, and a few bikes to keep them out of the weather, but with a very minimal room for movement around everything. That being the case I have not done much since snow has been on the ground, But I have done some things! Before the snow hit in Dec I was able to place the truck bed on the frame! Since then I was able to get it bolted down and 1 whole tail light installed, The other is waiting for its day. Yesterday was also a nice day and although I didn't have a lot of time due to a 82nd birthday for my wife's grandma, I was able to bolt in the radiator, condenser and the upper radiator shroud. I then sandblasted and epoxy painted the lower shroud and to my wifes enjoyment it is now in the house drying. LOL

Not a lot of pics/progress but hey some progress is still progress!

2_21_22, 3_40 PM Microsoft Lens(1).jpg

2_21_22, 3_40 PM Microsoft Lens.jpg

Is that a deeper than standard radiator as mine doesn't come down behind the front x-member ?

Is that a deeper than standard radiator as mine doesn't come down behind the front x-member ?
You know it would have been logical to check at the time... but I didn't. I saw that the radiator inlet and outlet were in the same spots and was happy! I will say that it is a 3 row aluminum which is the biggest I found. I would like to run a turbo at some point but for now I will just get major cooling! hopefully it is not so much that it angers the motor but It seemed fine getting up to temp in 65 degrees.

Hey Yall it has been a Minute since I posted. So here is the Lux update.

- SHE RUNS!!!
- Doors were installed (
*Front are ready for some wet sanding and putting in all the hardware.
*Rear doors are now coming back off for rust repair... and what didn't look too bad is worse than expected, But with buying clean rear doors in the USA is a challenge then repair I shall do.
- Then I did a project for an engineering class.
- Tail gate was also installed, Although I should have fit it first then paint... lesson learned the right side could have used some massaging to get it perfect...

Oh and I have exactly 2 weeks until I need a daily driver since I start a new job and using one car for the wife and I will no longer work....

TODO:
- Front Fenders fit/paint
- Rear Doors rust repair/Paint
- Piece above the hood sand/paint
- Fuel Cover Sand/Paint
- Lift (OME lift on the way)
- Drop the tank and find why the fuel gauge doesnt work...
- Wet sand the truck (First time painting...Orange Peel, BUT it's better than it was)
- Front bumper... Ill probably just bolt the stock back on it for now.

***Also I should do Injectors... anyone know where to get some Quality ones?! Dont love the idea of some ebay ones from china...

Here are some pics of my Final Project. Ready for camping! well the back is... Jeeps drive around with no doors...

4_28_22, 3_32 PM Microsoft Lens(1).jpg

4_28_22, 3_32 PM Microsoft Lens(3).jpg

Last edited:
Came up great :)

I'm now well down the 'convert to 1KZ' path no going back..... Test fitting dummy block for mount location
Then get my (qualified) mate to weld 'em on. Next is engineer inspect and approve....

kz test.jpg

KZ mount 1.jpg

KZ mount 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom