Restored/Improved 1977 FJ40 $18,500 - THIS WEEK $15K! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Restored/Improved 1977 FJ40 - SOLD.

Reluctant though I am to do it, my 40 needs to go. New baby and slow economy means that toys sacrifice for the greater good.

details are:

1977 numbers matching Fj40. Non-catalyst so no emissions testing.
Toyota Yellow (mustard)
Current VA inspection good until 8/2009
Runs great, no problem with traffic or highway. Cruises easily at 75 (or
more if you want.)
Power Steering (FJ60)
4 spd
2F
2.5" OME Dakar lift
33"x9.5" BFG AT's (5) great tread on factory rims.
4.11's, open
Front discs, rear drums. All in working order.

Full frame off 2 year resto by Iron Pig 3 years ago. 10K miles on it since
then.
Everything was replaced or gone through save for the trans and case, which
were deemed fine at he time and remain so. Seal between the 2 is broken but
I have the seal, gasket, and another case if needed. So far, it's fine.

All receipts

In the three years it's received:

New rear quarters, new wheel wells (diamond plate steel)
NEw rear sill, 1/4 wall tube, 1/8" wall square tube rear uprights. these will not deteriorate.
New 2 stage paint - fair condition. Needs attention. I'm having a painter look at repairing it next week - Seams need resealed. see pics. (price goes back up when it's fixed though. If you're a painter, get it at a discount.)
Engine was gone through thoroughly. new top end, rings and bearings
New head, decked .050, new valves, seats, springs, and retainers.
Jim C. Carb, tuned by him. new jets.
2 piece headers.
Electronic ignition (stock, from a 78)
New cam gear, crank gear lifters and pushrods
New front main seal.
New brake master, booster, clutch master, and slave
New clutch
FULL Stainless steel exhaust.
All Stainless brake lines
Headlight buckets, bezel and grille were powder coated.
Seats were brand new at time, and are aftermarket. Really nice.
Tuffy security console with Sony CD head unit and MP3 line out.
Full carpet kit.
Factory Hard top with new headliner, doors
new Kayline soft top with full
doors (just purchased this summer for $1100) All in perfect as new
condition.
Rear jumps seats
Combo hitch pintle/ball (goes with it if you buy the trailer, too)

This is a really nice truck - drive it anywhere. People ask me all the time
if it's new - it really does look it.

Other parts we can work into the deal or that I will sell separately:

New Heritage front fenders (I'm picky, the ones on it are new but they seem,
I don't know, different. Everyone says I'm nuts. Anyway, I bought the
heritage ones form lance and have yet to install or paint them)

Spare T-case, because I didn't replace it. Rebuild kit and all seals to go
with it.
Factory rubber floor mats
2.5 pinnacle lift and shocks - SOLD, being shipped.
Flip and fold rear seat - never used - brand new. Not installed
Jump seats
Warn Belleview winch - in pieces but with all the parts - many brand new.
Stock seats, decent shape, some rips but altogether not bad.

Tons of other crap. i must have 3 distributors, all the smog equipment (all from a 60, too)

The truck is $16,500, OBO. It's a deal. I've got close to $40K in it and
the receipts to prove it. To have done today what I had done would cost far
more - ask Lance. They did a fantastic job worth twice what I paid. The ONLY problem is the paint, and that's being dealt with.

If you have questions hit me offline. I'll do my best to answer them. I
have pictures and can take more. I drive this about 2-3 times a week for
work and just for a change. During the summer we take it to Nags Head (6
hours) and it's fine.

I have a little military trailer that I tow with it, and full of wood you
can't tell it's back there. That's for sale as well.

Details:

$800 with the crane on the front.
Sprung over with, i think, 1 ton springs. It carries a lot more than it should.
6 lug axle. toyota pattern
34" truxus on 16" 80 series steelies. (they're metric, I can't remember the
size but I'll look if you like)
M114 I think.
Decent shape, a little beat up but it's character. Not rusting but not
pretty. I use it all the time.
Crane that bolts to the front cross-member for lifting heavy stuff.
Pintle hitch

Everything is located in Alexandria, VA (DC Metro). I'll ship it but I'd
rather someone come see it. I would rather not ship the parts. I've got a
new baby and a business to keep afloat, so I'd be unreliable, but I'll do
my best.

pics! MobileMe Gallery

Thanks
Picture 025.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 012.jpg

Last edited:
The post that I was replying to was quite different then the text that I see now, because you changed it from simply describing the paint as in "good condition". All I saw was restoration photos in perfect condition that got my interest piqued, which matched your description, again, originally listed as simply "good condition". When I looked back I saw an update with links to new photographs of blooming rust. In my mind I thought, "This is good condition? This doesn't look anything like the restoration photos".

I guess I didn't go to check that the original post describing the paint in good condition was changed to what is now currently up there, a more accurate assessment of the situation. I suppose in that light that my reaction might seem to be a bit of a hyperbole, but from what I originally read to what that says now I can tell you that it was different and from what it said before I believe that my reaction was appropriate given the circumstances.

You apparently would not describe that as deceitful, but in my book advertising a truck with fresh restoration photos and describing the paint as in good condition might be assessed as deceitful compared to revised description you now list accompanying photographs of a rusting paintjob.

Your passive-aggressive implication that I am inexperienced by presentation of your logical fallacy citing the length of your digital reputation as an exclusive factor of my real life experience as a mechanic is shameful at best. I should have chose a more mellow first post, and then people would probably like me more and I do feel bad about making anyone else on this forum upset, but I was reacting genuinely. This especially holds true when you admit to yourself that you changed your internet ad (often directed at long distance buyers who have to "take your word for it") rather dramatically rather recently, and then came down on me for reacting surprised about the aforementioned sequence of events. I can tell you that if I was looking at your truck before that I wouldn't be considering it any longer after a change like that, as I would fear another round of more clarified information regarding the condition of the vehicle or other "little" "oh-by-the-ways".

Bump for a nice FJ40

Jim! Thanks man. It actually sold last week (got the deposit yesterday) . Hated to do it, but with a 9 week old son, the likelihood of me driving any time in the next year was dismally low. It made the most sense that someone else enjoy it, cause to me it was fast becoming unclaimed funds. Oddly enough, i've driven more since I decided to sell it that I have in months.

On the bright side, it runs great, thanks to you. Starts easily without the choke every time, no matter how long it's ben sitting and revs easily. Cruising at 71 mph (according to GPS) I'm turning 3000 rpm's and will pull easily past 80 when I get into the secondaries. (Jim tuned the truck about a year and half ago and it's been top notch ever since.)

Bump for Jim - anyone who wants an engine built or tuned right this is the guy to talk to. He does awesome work and knows his stuff.

Rob

The post that I was replying to was quite different then the text that I see now, because you changed it from simply describing the paint as in "good condition". All I saw was restoration photos in perfect condition that got my interest piqued, which matched your description, again, originally listed as simply "good condition". When I looked back I saw an update with links to new photographs of blooming rust. In my mind I thought, "This is good condition? This doesn't look anything like the restoration photos".

I guess I didn't go to check that the original post describing the paint in good condition was changed to what is now currently up there, a more accurate assessment of the situation. I suppose in that light that my reaction might seem to be a bit of a hyperbole, but from what I originally read to what that says now I can tell you that it was different and from what it said before I believe that my reaction was appropriate given the circumstances.

You apparently would not describe that as deceitful, but in my book advertising a truck with fresh restoration photos and describing the paint as in good condition might be assessed as deceitful compared to revised description you now list accompanying photographs of a rusting paintjob.

Your passive-aggressive implication that I am inexperienced by presentation of your logical fallacy citing the length of your digital reputation as an exclusive factor of my real life experience as a mechanic is shameful at best. I should have chose a more mellow first post, and then people would probably like me more and I do feel bad about making anyone else on this forum upset, but I was reacting genuinely. This especially holds true when you admit to yourself that you changed your internet ad (often directed at long distance buyers who have to "take your word for it") rather dramatically rather recently, and then came down on me for reacting surprised about the aforementioned sequence of events. I can tell you that if I was looking at your truck before that I wouldn't be considering it any longer after a change like that, as I would fear another round of more clarified information regarding the condition of the vehicle or other "little" "oh-by-the-ways".

Wow :D

right?? Update. Truck is gone, new owner is very happy. I am now neck deep into a Samurai build to keep me busy until I buy a 55... :))

I've got a diesel (1.6TD) at the machine shop, but it's taking too damn long, so i bought a 1.6 from a sidekick to get me running til the diesel is built. Fun!

Thanks for all the interest. I'll be around, don't worry.

Rob

I am now neck deep into a Samurai build to keep me busy until I buy a 55... :))

I've got a diesel (1.6TD) at the machine shop, but it's taking too damn long, so i bought a 1.6 from a sidekick to get me running til the diesel is built.
Rob
Sounds cool. LMK if you need VW diesmal assistance.:cheers:

Sounds cool. LMK if you need VW diesmal assistance.:cheers:

I was thinking i might just ship what i have to you and let you make friends with it. :) Seriously. hit me offline and we'll talk.

Rob

Well, this just sucks, Rob. I never even got a ride in the damn thing! :flipoff2:

So's the lucky guy? Where's the truck's new home?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom