Restoration color change?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know colors have been talked about over and over...but...

I am bringing my 82 fj out to Proffit's Cruisers this week to do a frame off restoration and I am pondering a body color change (yeah, I wish I had the skills, time to do it myself... I envy all you cats that do...)

I get a lot of comments on my John Deer green (org. color), but in the end I think I'd prefer a more mellow color. The Dune Beige (416) has always been a favorite of mine, but I know it was not available in 82.

I know color is all personal preference... but anyone think this is a mistake? What about the value - will only the purists cringe at this?

btw - has anyone else here done a restoration with Jeremiah? Seems like he has a great reputation from the other posts I've read...

Thanks for your suggestions!
Peter
Denver, CO
IMG_5169.jpg

If you are going for a resto, regardless of the vehicle, you want to stick with the original color, that's my opinoin. If you are putting the $$$ into it, I say keep the color It can't possibly be worth more completely restored with a non-original color, can it? On top of all that, green kicks ass! I've got a red fj40 and all I hear about is how much it looks like a Heep from the Bezel Patrol...

Wait, I'm in Boulder... you wanna trade for a red '81?

"Restoration" and "color change" do not go togther. That green is extremely rare and it would be a big mistake to change the color of this particular vehicle. If you have your heart set on the other color try to find one of that color or use one that is not such a rare color.

I had the same thoughts when doing the restoration on my truck. I was really wanting to change it. I went back and forth on it all the way until it was time to buy paint for the painter. In the end I went back to the stock Freeborn Red. I would say stay stock, but I am a purist. In the end you need to do what you are comfortable with.

trade an 82? not on your life, jjhancock! ;) always liked the freeborn though...

well, i guess i expected this kind of response - i have been waivering back and forth too. my thought was since i was paying so much for the resto, it would feel like an even better run for my $$ if it was a different color...

thanks for the responses though - i think if i do end up changing the color i'd better get a new user name - for my saftey!! :)

the beige is just so sweet...

argh...!!!
dune.jpg

Dude - its your rig - do what you want. I went thru this also and the head kept telling me stock and the heart kept going another way. In the end, you gotta go with the heart if this is something you plan to keep for a while. If you don't get what you want (and pick what you think you should have) - you will always second-guess the decision and never be content.

If you're in it for the $$$$, then you wouldn't be paying someone to resto it anyway. Go Dune Beige and don't look back!

Just my $0.02.

AndrewT

I changed it and I'm glad I did. I did keep it a 68 Toyota color though-Coronado Beige. But there are a zillion parts that need painted. More painting = more money!

I hate dust, bugs and kittens when I'm painting!

painting.jpg

My 68 before:

beforeblue.jpg

After:

almost.jpg

The color on mine was changed. Even though the guy said he got all the old color off there are still a few spots I've found while working on it that show the original color (was dark blue, now beige). I'd vote against it, personally, just because it bugs me whenever I find spots like that. Guess it boils down to how picky you are and whether you're ever planning to sell it.

fjfoty said:
I know colors have been talked about over and over...but...

The Dune Beige (416) has always been a favorite of mine, but I know it was not available in 82.

I have a DEC 82-40 at the shop right now that is Beige...just turned 67K on the clock...

Very clean Land Cruiser.

Paint it whatever color you want it to be.

Good luck!

-Steve

It really only matters if you want to resell it to put your kids thru college. The "grass" green 82 is truly fugly...I had one..if you're planning to go the "all the money and then some" route, don't change it fer sure. If you're driving it, who gives a s***. Let em eat cake...

FWIW I will change the color of mine if I ever get to restoring it cuz I don't like the beige-ification of the world (I've got the 464 beige), but I'm going with another OEM Toyota color, though it was from an earlier year.

I would sure keep it John Deere green, there are not many(I have seen less then 10 in the US) of that color(81-2 only, US) I LOVE my 82 in JD green.....I wouild never consider changing it. Yes it will hurt the value when/if reselling. If you repaint it.....IMOP it must be repaiinted everyplace.......up under the firewall, the glove box, the firewall, the engine bay........everyplace, every nook and crany, if this is done it won't hurt the value as much.......but it still will hurt it.

From that one pic.....I dont really see a need for a resto, yeah the fenders have flairs but the body/paint looks fine, mine looked like crap when I got it.....but some waxin and new trim bits made it look like new.

But, do what makes you happy.

this is my unrestored 82 in John Deere Green......I would NEVER change it.

111024886.jpg

also, with the new FJ Cruiser coming out(and Toyota using the fj40s to help sell em)......I can almost promise you the values of all stock nice fj40's will be going up up up, late models will go up the most(IMOP)......and as you know.....they already sell for a pretty penny. I must think that a more modern color(like the JD green) will be highly sought after.

this is just a guess of course.

thanks for all the replies -

if i do change the color landpimp, that is the only way i would do it - proffits is doing a full frame off, so every inch of her will be looked after...

we'll see... i dont have to decide just yet!

I have a mustard 82 fj40, bone stock(in need of minor rust repair) i would trade for your green 82........heck having apair of green 82's would be just too cool....and kinda wierd :)

fjfoty said:
thanks for all the replies -

if i do change the color landpimp, that is the only way i would do it - proffits is doing a full frame off, so every inch of her will be looked after...

we'll see... i dont have to decide just yet!

btw - has anyone else here done a restoration with Jeremiah? Seems like he has a great reputation from the other posts I've read...

I saw Proffits work in Moab this year and you will be very happy.

I'd stick with the JD green, if it were the forest green, I'd change it. But, that JD green is too cool.

My 74 40 was Forest Green and I stripped it and went to Freeborn Red (my son's choice.. mine was Dune Beige) I will change my White 72 factory rag top to a Dune Beige hardtop. Unless your doing a full restoration I'd paint it what ever you want. Your rear fenders are cut so I would think that your looking for a nice usable restore and not a museum piece restoration.

My frame and firewall numbers are both different from my vin plate so I guess my color change is the least of my problems. :)

Kevin

Green it is.

Well, I dropped her off at Proffits on Friday, and after seeing her with the hard top back on, and chatting with the crew there, I am keeping her green - no question about it. I was parked right next to a beige 83 troopy, and it just didn't compare to the JD green. Thanks for everyone's advice.

I am having those guys go as stock as possible - including going back to the stock wheel openings. That was a big part of my decision. She is such a solid, rare crusier, she should be top notch when they are done.

Great bunch of guys at Proffits - they have a cool shop in a beautiful location... pretty much the dream job. Jeremiah said diesel swaps were the word of the day, and they are doing more of those than anything.

I will post photos and updates as Jeremiah sends them my way... they are looking at starting sometime in November.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom