Restorapaloosa... My 1969 Restoration Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
A new journey has begun!

About 4 years ago I purchased my first FJ40, a 1969. I tore it down to the frame and started working on the small stuff.

In the middle of all that, I purchased a 76 that was in much better condition and restored her first. After she was restored, I used the $$ from that sale, to fund the build on the 69.

Part of the proceeds went to buy a 76 FJ55 as a parts rig for the 69. I really prefer the 76+ Drivetrain and this Iron Pig had it where it counts. It had a completely rebuilt engine with less than 12k on her, also complete rebuilds on all four corners, wheel bearings etc. A great driving rig that fell on her side during a 4 wheeling trip up in the mountain snow. It was sitting in the guys fathers yard, so that guys dad sold it to me for a song! And with all paperwork documenting the rebuild. Suffice it to say I was happy…

This build was put on hold for several reasons; mainly I didn’t have a place to work on her. Fast forward a bit and into our new home. The wife was ok with me taking over the garage because she saw the success of the other rigs sale and is exited to see this one built.

The original tub on the 69 was shot so I found a donor tub from a 71. It has some rear end rot, and a bit in the middle floor board area. Two places I need to replace.

So I started on the chassis…

Pictures are of
  1. when I started
  2. Frame before blast, (note Donor tub on right)
  3. Donor FJ55
side.JPG
rusty.jpg
Picture 029.jpg

Last edited:
Engine gets transplanted...

I had the frame sandblasted, then I gave it the POR treatment.

Installed Skyjacker 2.5" soft rides, and extendo shackles. Transfered the front and rear axles from the donor 55 onto the 40. then installed the engine.
aa4.jpg
aa1.jpg
aa2.jpg

Great, anther build to make me drool
Thanks a lot !!!

friggen fraggin firecracker... mumble mumble

Gave the engine a cosmetic teardown, and replaced the exhaust manifold with a set of headers, new waterpump, alternator, fuel pump.

Pictures above show some shots of the engine / tranny all cleaned up.

To clean the engine I towed her to a car wash and power washed all the grime off. First with a treatment of Superclean, then power wash, then super clean then powerwash. I repeated this process about 6 times. It was the easiest way to get rid of all the crud.

Then I treated the engine with metal ready and turned the rustys into black iron oxide.

Then I gave her a once more over, then sanding (minor) then paint work with engine enamels. I decided to go with the cast look on the valve cover and intake. The cast paint matches very well with the other aluminum parts as seen here in the pic... The WP is not painted, the other Items are.. The headers are only temporarily attached. I could not believe how clean the INSIDE of this engine was.
aa1.jpg

Looks nice! Do you have any more pictures?

Some more shots

The first couple shots show the tub...

As you can see I needed heat to remove almost all the fasteners in the firewall. what a PITA!!!:mad:

Thats going to the blasters in early Jan.

Next shot is overall. WIth my new 33 x 10.50 BFG's hiding in the background.

:D
aa3.jpg
aa2.jpg
aa6.jpg

Rear Sill removed

Went to work on the rear sill. I was thinking of drilling out the spot welds and leaving the original skin, but after looking it over, the cancer was already started so I think it's better to just cut it out and weld in new.

So a hacking I went!

The roto zip makes quick work of the sheetmetal. 3 cut off wheels were needed to make all the cuts.
sill1.jpg
sill2.jpg
sill3.jpg

Last edited:
Sill removed

As you can see, once pulled, it indeed needed to be replaced.

I will be building my own rear sill from 14 guage.
sill4.JPG
sill5.jpg
sill6.jpg

looks awesome!

Lookin good:cool:
I built my own rear sill not long ago wasn't that hard.
Wish my chassis was as far along as yours, i haven't even scratched the surface yet :rolleyes:

:cheers: :popcorn:

Last edited:
Sweeeet! Keep'em coming. I like that cast look, but do something with the acorn nuts on the valve cover. Needs more contrast! :grinpimp:

You're right

Note** Look at the close up pic of the engine. I did go for nice contrasting black acorn nuts. :cool:

The Mods I will perform

I didn't mention in the first post what my plans are for her...

I love the stock plus look. To me that means OEM stock plus the following.

Lift Kit ( I went with a SkyJacker 2.5 softride plus 1.5" shackles)
Tires and wheels (went with BFG 33 x 10.50 MT on OEM Steelies)
Power Steering (Going with Saginaw)

Since this was originally a 69, and I prefer the 76+ running gear, I installed the OEM Disc brake front axle from the 55 donor, and the rebuilt 2f with 4 speed tranny and transfer. Also moved the rear axle over.

The paint color was a hard decision and I'm not sure which way to go. It's either going to be a 1969 "Breathe Green" or the tried and true 416 Dune Biege.

The 71 Donor tub is Biege (not sure if its 416 tho). So I am leaning that way.

Anyhoo, thats the plan...

I really enjoyed your last build up, and am looking forward to watching the progress on this one. I too, have a '69 that I am slowly trying to do something with. I like your ideas for the build up. Good luck with your project.:cheers: Brendon

nice build looks real clean so far.

So what's with the boonie cover? Are you a marine or do you just play one in the shop? ;)

I really enjoyed your last build up, and am looking forward to watching the progress on this one. I too, have a '69 that I am slowly trying to do something with. I like your ideas for the build up. Good luck with your project.:cheers: Brendon

Hello,

No, not a Marine, (they have my utmost respect) but I do play one once a month or so... ;)

Thanks for the remarks...

I tried to get my sill bent up today, but the northwest is in the iceage right now and everyones closed.

Looks like next week for the sill build. I will post pics of the progress. Once I get the tub done and blasted, things should pick up!

:beer:

I like the plans you have for it a lot, and judging by the workmanship so far, i think it's gonna be one clean FJ...

can't wait to see her finished:cheers:

Oh, I forgot to mention a couple more mods I have in mind.

I am going to install the factory (post 73) rollbar with the smaller jump seats with legs. I like the look, and I have some cool ideas for the rollbar. (adding a custom dome light and speakers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom