resmogging a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 79 fj40 that is desmogged with a webber. Has anyone ever re-smogged one?? The reason I am thinking of doing it is that I am moving to a area where it will need to be done and I would like to get it back to stock anyway. The only remaining part is the canister...and harness plugs everyhting else is gone so I would have to get it all somewhere. Is it a PITA to do and would it just be easier to sell the truck and look for one that is already done?

PITA, esp on a late ish 79; have you looked at the Haynes diagrams? Med school was not this hard.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have looked at all the pics and diagrams I can find and have like 200 pics people have posted of just the hose runs....and it looks like a nightmare for sure to redo... I am thinking it would be easier to find one still stock.

Tock13,

It looks bad at first but the emissions stuff is really not all that hard to understand once you dig into it. I think the harder part will be finding all the parts you need and/or undoing all the prior desmogging 'fixes'.

I would first determine what parts you need by reading some emissions schematics and checking whats on your rig. See this link here for an 80 FJ40 smog detail: http://landcruiser.littlerat.com/1980 FJ40 emissions.html

Then, when you know what you need, research the price of the parts. This may help make your decision as this (price) could be the limiting factor. Here are some of the parts:

stock carb
stock air cleaner assembly
smog Pump
egr cooler
egr valve
egr vacuum modulator
abv/asv valve
HAC valve
air rail and nozzles
plus other various VSVs, VTVs, BVSVs, etc..
good quality silicon hose

I am guessing you will spend around $1K for the above parts - give or take a few hundred. Maybe more if you want to go new on many of the parts.

AndrewT

Last edited:
I resmogged my '76. Fortunately the PO had saved every part he took off. I basically ditched the Weber, reinstalled the carb (rebuilt), installed all the gear and it worked. I did end up having to buy a smog header (SOR), and a rebuilt airpump from Napa. I've had no smog problems since and I live in an area that gets the more intense test.

NJFJ40 said:
I am guessing you will spend around $1K for the above parts - give or take a few hundred. Maybe more if you want to go new on many of the parts.

AndrewT

Wow! I was wondering when we would start seeing posts like this.

When everyone was telling me to trash my emissions equipment, I thought "what if I get a cool job somewhere else, and want to take my Cruiser with me?"

So, my guess is that lots of people are still tearing this stuff off. Post some wanted ads, or hit the junkyards.

Good luck!

Not that bad...

I did my 79FJ40 - really not that hard if you have a cruiser to look at and you have the FSM Emission's manual - this is a definite have to have item. I've attached a few pics of my finished job. The PO had stripped the carb/air cleaner and all the hard lines, cannister, etc - only thing left was air rail and smog pump when I started. Good luck, Tom
79carb vac lines front view.JPG
79carb vac lines side view.JPG
79carb vac lines top overview.JPG

few more pics

Oh yeah - only thing I haven't yet figured out is I have a "gremlin" in the BVSVs - creates a carb issue at different temps but I've scored some good 'used' BVSVs so I intend to replace these as needed.
79carb vac lines air rail.JPG
79carb vac lines top view2.JPG

NJFJ40 has got a good list for you to work from. I think I have one or two sets of this stuff still sitting around for the 79 model year. :)

tock13 said:
I have a 79 fj40 that is desmogged with a webber. Has anyone ever re-smogged one?? The reason I am thinking of doing it is that I am moving to a area where it will need to be done and I would like to get it back to stock anyway. The only remaining part is the canister...and harness plugs everyhting else is gone so I would have to get it all somewhere. Is it a PITA to do and would it just be easier to sell the truck and look for one that is already done?

This is one of the reasons I was able to get my 79 for a fairly reasonable price. It's got a weber and a header, and no smog equipment. It was in PA, and the guy I got it from was going to have a tough time getting it smogged. If you can get all the stuff and a factory carb, it shouldn't be too terrible to swap it all back. But if the cruiser market is high where you are, and low where you are going, it might be easier to get another one. Question for you though. Where do you have the line connected from the charcoal canister to the motor on your desmogged 79? I've still got to plumb a canister onto mine.

crewzerdog said:
I did my 79FJ40 - really not that hard if you have a cruiser to look at and you have the FSM Emission's manual - this is a definite have to have item. I've attached a few pics of my finished job. The PO had stripped the carb/air cleaner and all the hard lines, cannister, etc - only thing left was air rail and smog pump when I started. Good luck, Tom

Tom,

What master cylinder is that?

Yeah what Master Cylinder is that.

I live in Texas. I sure hope I don't have to resmog my 78 California model Land Cruiser.

Thanks a ton for all the information. I appreciate it.

Awesome pics Tom...thats exactly how I hope to get mine looking...clean and back how it should be. I will ask too...where did ya get that master cylinder??

Ken - I just looked at how my canister is hooked up and the only connection going anywhere is back under the tub to the gastank. The other 2 connections are just hanging there open. One is a metal pipe following the firewall and ends behind the webber. The other is a rubber tube coming straight up out of the canister about 6". There is a connection to the wire harness still attached as well.

65swb45 said:
NJFJ40 has got a good list for you to work from. I think I have one or two sets of this stuff still sitting around for the 79 model year. :)

If you have a full set of everything I might need and want to clear some shelf space in your shop...let me know I am interested!

I have a 78 FJ40 that I bought just last week. Before I bought it I went to a Texas State inspection place and asked them what a 78 model vehicle needs to pass inspection. I was told NO emissions, just safety inspection; brakes, horn, lights that sort of thing. Apparently the State inspection people know nothing of what the actual law is. Turns out ANY vehicle ANYWHERE later than 68 has to have every piece of emissions equipment on it that it came with. I think in 74 all vehicles period sold in the US had some form of emissions equipment. My 78 was a California model and as a result had the full gamut of emissions crap. It is all gone now and there is no way I want to put all that garbage back on the already pathetic 2F engine.

What are all you fellow Texans with Cruisers doing?

master cylinder

Thanks for the comments on the resmog job...the master cylinder is from JT Outfitters - I did the disc brake conversion on the rear so now have 4 wheel disc brakes - very easy conversion and truck stops straight and fast. I think the master is off a FJ60?? but its been about 2 years since I did this job - it is made for 4 wheel disc and it is a Toyota part. Sorry don't remember the exact model number but can dig out some papers/receipts if needed.
PS - on the emission parts/air rail, etc. - I beadblasted them and repainted with POR-20 high temp paint. Stuff has held up very very well.

Also in Texas, and also have a box of emission crap that I would be more than willing to sell. The only thing I do not have is the carborator. I will be boxing a lot of leftover part next week and placing them on Ebay...I've got to clear my autoshop out for the next project.

Last edited:
crewzerdog said:
Thanks for the comments on the resmog job...the master cylinder is from JT Outfitters - I did the disc brake conversion on the rear so now have 4 wheel disc brakes - very easy conversion and truck stops straight and fast. I think the master is off a FJ60?? but its been about 2 years since I did this job - it is made for 4 wheel disc and it is a Toyota part. Sorry don't remember the exact model number but can dig out some papers/receipts if needed.
PS - on the emission parts/air rail, etc. - I beadblasted them and repainted with POR-20 high temp paint. Stuff has held up very very well.

Yep JT outfitters. 95-98 LC Though mine is slightly different.

IMG_2548.JPG

Last edited:
so what about the power booster? Is that the stock FJ booster? Did the 95-98 LC Master just bolt right up?

e-man said:
so what about the power booster? Is that the stock FJ booster? Did the 95-98 LC Master just bolt right up?

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. But I'm assuming so. But the PPO had the install done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom