Resistor in Headlight circuit ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from a long drive at night.
The Low Beam headlights are just not bright enough for comfortable driving.
High Beam are fine.

I am suspecting the reason for the Low Beam headlights is because of the recall some time ago. I am suspecting that Resistor has increased in value causing the lights to be dim.

I think this is it in my service history:
DRL KIT MY9802 LX470 (SSC) - 5LB 5LB LX470 DRL KIT - . - 5LB INSTALL DRL KIT MY98 - 02 LX470 (SSC)

Anyone know where that Headlight Resistor is typically mounted????

Assume that this was to address this issue Lexus Recall 04V434000

Don't the DRLs operate off of the high beam circuit?

The DRL's only operate on the High Beam lights.

The stock LX470 low beams just plain suck. I tried silverstar ultras, then tried fitting them with aftermarket HID's in the original projectors, neither was much of an improvement.

I finally replaced the projectors in my stock headlamps with Mini H-1's and a high quality HID kit - absolutely love my headlights now.

See this thread regarding updating the stock projectors: LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET

it was a couple hundred bucks and a days work, but now I can see to drive at night!

(FYI- the retrofit source (where I got the Mini H-1 projectors and HID kit) is having a 15% off memorial day sale...)

Just got back from a long drive at night.
The Low Beam headlights are just not bright enough for comfortable driving.
High Beam are fine.

I am suspecting the reason for the Low Beam headlights is because of the recall some time ago. I am suspecting that Resistor has increased in value causing the lights to be dim.

I think this is it in my service history:
DRL KIT MY9802 LX470 (SSC) - 5LB 5LB LX470 DRL KIT - . - 5LB INSTALL DRL KIT MY98 - 02 LX470 (SSC)

Anyone know where that Headlight Resistor is typically mounted????

The resistor wouldn't be the cause of your troubles. As previously mentioned....your DRL's operate off of the High Beams.

Your Factory Low Beams are a H1 type bulb. They get weaker with time (up to 20%). So 'modest' gains can be had by replacing the bulbs with new ones (some are better than others). But....frankly, the low beams pretty much suck.

I did the Fog Light 'Mod' which allows me to run the fog lights on either low or high beam and I keep them on all the time.

Your High Beams are 9005 bulbs (factory) and are not the greatest either. Many folks (me included) replace them with 9011's by trimming the 'tabs'. There IS a marked improvement there.

The resistor wouldn't be the cause of your troubles. As previously mentioned....your DRL's operate off of the High Beams.

Your Factory Low Beams are a H1 type bulb. They get weaker with time (up to 20%). So 'modest' gains can be had by replacing the bulbs with new ones (some are better than others). But....frankly, the low beams pretty much suck.

I did the Fog Light 'Mod' which allows me to run the fog lights on either low or high beam and I keep them on all the time.

Your High Beams are 9005 bulbs (factory) and are not the greatest either. Many folks (me included) replace them with 9011's by trimming the 'tabs'. There IS a marked improvement there.

Thanks. My Hi Beams work great. Low Beams suck.
I just might try replacing my 16 year old low beam bulbs.
BTW, what is the "Fog Light Mod" ???

Allows fog lights to stay on with high beams for maximum blinding ability.

I've never been 'flashed' by oncoming traffic for having my fog lights on. Obviously, if you have your 'brights' on....you can cause a blinding situation for other traffic.

Fog lights are mounted low (on 100 series), they project a beam that stays pretty low. Mostly it provides a little 'fill' light right out in front of your vehicle and also off to the side.

Mis-adjusted headlights are much more apt to be a problem. As with anything...it is up to the driver to determine when it is appropriate to use them....and when not to.

I've never been 'flashed' by oncoming traffic for having my fog lights on. Obviously, if you have your 'brights' on....you can cause a blinding situation for other traffic.

Fog lights are mounted low (on 100 series), they project a beam that stays pretty low. Mostly it provides a little 'fill' light right out in front of your vehicle and also off to the side.

Mis-adjusted headlights are much more apt to be a problem. As with anything...it is up to the driver to determine when it is appropriate to use them....and when not to.
I was referring to total lumen output with brights + fogs. Agreed, fogs are almost like DRLs.

The DRL's only operate on the High Beam lights.

The stock LX470 low beams just plain suck. I tried silverstar ultras, then tried fitting them with aftermarket HID's in the original projectors, neither was much of an improvement.

I finally replaced the projectors in my stock headlamps with Mini H-1's and a high quality HID kit - absolutely love my headlights now.

See this thread regarding updating the stock projectors: LX470 HID RETROFIT PROJECTOR BRACKET

it was a couple hundred bucks and a days work, but now I can see to drive at night!

(FYI- the retrofit source (where I got the Mini H-1 projectors and HID kit) is having a 15% off memorial day sale...)

Upgrading to HIDs (and better projectors) is pretty much the only way you're going to get a real improvement. Incandescent lights suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom