Residual Valve Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I did a rear brake conversion on my FJ55. I purchased a downey 2lb residual valve for it and when i installed it, i don't think it's quite right. Here is a pic of the install:

IMG_3591_Small.jpg

The thing that bothers me,is on the right hand side in the pic, where the line from the residual valve mates with the rear center brake hose, it doesn't seem to have a good connection. it screws ALL the way in, and the swivel female fitting on the center hose is still loose enough to swivel.

I'm thinking that in order to have a proper connection there, you can't use the swagelock that comes with the residual valve, and instead you have to use a line with a double-flare, to bind down onto the chamfered piece inside that center hose. Right now, i'm afraid that brake fluid would leak through around that piece and go through the swivel part.

Am i correct in thinking this? i haven't put fluid in yet, so i haven't tested it, but i'm pretty sure it's not right.

Also, one other thing, where the rear center hose goes into the junction block on the axle, there was a male to male connector supplied with the hose, it's got a pretty good fit into the female on the hose side, but it screwed ALL the way down into the junction block, right up the the head/wall of the male to male fitting, and was still loose. am i missing a copper crush washer to go there or something? my old rear center hose didn't have that problem. it went pretty snuggly into the junction block. what's the story here?

thanks all!

you need a longer fitting the one you have is short and it is bottoming out. you need to replace the end and reflare

1. You need a double flare tube [with the corresponding 10mm fitting]to go into the female end of the drop hose; that use of the swagelock is incorrect.

The male end of the stainless braided drop hose needs to have the copper o-ring on it IF it threads ALL the way flush into the junction block [which is the way the stock hose fits as well.]

:cheers:

Cool, i suspected as much.

Strangely, when i pulled off the old rear center hose, it didn't have a copper crush washer. I guess tomorrow i'll have to go source one. :S

thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom