Residual Pressure Valve.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Searched...and i think im the only one that isnt familiar with the residual valve. I was told and read that im to get rid of them to help my brakes. Ive got a 74' fj40 that I put a 78' disc in the front of and want alittle more pedal. Does this help..and how exactly do i do this? Do i remove front and rear pressure valves or is there only one for the front? Fixin to add an extended brakeline to the rear and need to bleed brakes anyway.

Thanks Alot Grant5127, Never thought to look in the tech section:doh: After reading, i have to ask.. Why remove both residual valves? If the MC for a 76+ had one for the rear, shouldnt i leave it in though? see here "If running a 75-older master cylinder, pull both." "A 71 drum brake FJ40 master cylinder should have this valve in both fittings....a 76+ drum/disc combo would only have one for the rear drum brakes."

The valve hold pressure in the line that's needed for drum brakes.... only remove the valve for disc conversion.....which ever that might be....

Ive got a 74' fj40 that I put a 78' disc in the front of and want alittle more pedal.

Adjust your rear brakes.....

I have, Alot! Its that my rear wants to lock up real quick. i just feel like im getting and stoping from my front discs. Ive been told numerous times to take this residual valve out, figure ill give it a shot.
Oyeah! Poser, i got that Brakeline from Marlin Crawler. Thanks for helping me find that. i plan put it on this weekend, and yeah..i got the red line:smokin:

I believe you need them no matter what brakes you have. IIRC they have 10lb ones for drums, 2 lbs ones for disc.

This is true for drum brakes......

There is not a residual pressure valve in a 40 series Land Cruiser disc brake master cylinder for the disc brake circuit.

I have removed them from the rear of a disc brake master cylinder and not used any residual pressure valve and the rear disc brakes work great.

I have removed them from a drum brake Land Cruiser master cylinder for only the front when installing disc brakes on the front axle only and not installed a residual pressure valve and they work great.

I have also used a drum brake Land Cruiser master cylinder with a four-wheel disc brake conversion after removing the residual pressure valves from both the front and rear circuits with great results.

:beer:

I have, Alot! Its that my rear wants to lock up real quick. i just feel like im getting and stoping from my front discs.

The rear brakes no matter if they are drum or disc will lock up easier on the truck because of weight transfer/inertia when braking going forward.

Glad that you got the hose!

I have removed them from a drum brake Land Cruiser master cylinder for only the front when installing disc brakes on the front axle only and not installed a residual pressure valve and they work great.

So, does my 74' MC have residual pressure valves. Im not sure i understand what you just wrote. "and not installed a residual pressure valve and they...." so you did remove the front residual pressure valve and left the rear pressure valve in on the drumbrake MC and it worked pretty good? or is that not what you were trying to say?

So, does my 74' MC have residual pressure valves.

Yes.

Your original 1974 master cylinder does have residual pressure valves in both circuits. You will need to remove the residual pressure valve in the circuit that you have your disc brakes plumbed into.

Im not sure i understand what you just wrote. "and not installed a residual pressure valve and they...." so you did remove the front residual pressure valve and left the rear pressure valve in on the drumbrake MC and it worked pretty good? or is that not what you were trying to say?

That was in reference to my64fj40’s comment about a disc brake circuit requiring a two-pound residual pressure valve.

In my 78, stock master, disk front , drum rear. 2lb residual in the disk and a 6lb in the drum line. There is also a proportion valve in the rear line, mounted directly under the brake booster. When I went to 4 disk, I replaced the 6lb in the rear line, and replaced it with a 2lb from another master. Has worked fine four over 5 years. If you look at the residual valve with a magnifing glass you can see a 2 or a 6 stamped on the valve

In my 78, stock master, disk front , drum rear. 2lb residual in the disk and a 6lb in the drum line.

I guess someone must have been messing with things on the disc masters that I have been into...

I will go tear a few more down and see what I find....

Thanks for the heads up!

I just removed my '77 this weekend. I'll check the valves for stamps but mine sounds like the same set up as plowboy's..

Any up-date information on the valves antFJ :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom