Researching lift options and have a couple questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. i have been doing some research for the past couple weeks when I have time. Today I have not left my dish chair since 2:00 researching on MUD. My eyes are tired now but I have a few questions and want to solicit MORE LIFT advice if that is possible.
I feel like when I call the vendors aI am wasting their time and do not want to keep asking questions. They seem to have better things to do than answering a rookies questions.
I am debating wether to get a 1.5" or 2.5" OME medium. I really like the stance of the 2.5" but the 1.5" seems more practical for me.
Why? I have small children that need to get in and out easily. I am in and out of my car A LOT all day and night long and the bump steer has me a little concerned along with CV angle issues that can cause damage or premature wear. I would do a diff drop regardless of which lift I would get. My research has helped me to come to that conclusion.
I am having a hard time even finding pics of a 100 with a 1.5" lift and 33's. Seem s almost everyone goes with the 2.5".
I think I want to go without the original OME shocks to gain the ride I want.
I will be running a format bumper and winch.

My big question is this. If I go with the complete 1.5" lift kit but later want that extra inch in lift, can I just swap out the rear springs and keep the OME torsion bars and OME shocks installed? OR would I need longer shocks and bars?

Micheal,

you have seen my truck. I have a 1.5" lift. Give me a call tomorrow, I will be in back in Atlanta sooner than I thought. I would say I have the least amount of lift to be considered "lifted". Brock would have the most lift before you start running into major issues with down-travel, and any higher, well, just dumb on this platform.

Here is my 100 with 1.5" of total lift.
OME 866 Coils
Factory Torsion Bars
Bilstein HD Shocks
IMG_0628.jpg

Hey Nick. To be onset I wasn't even paying attention to the kit on your truck. I barely saw it but when I did it was dark or we were apart on the trails.
Who was Steve? I'm sorry but I am terrible with names. did he have the lighter Blue 100? I loved that truck.

Hey Nick. To be onset I wasn't even paying attention to the kit on your truck. I barely saw it but when I did it was dark or we were apart on the trails.
Who was Steve? I'm sorry but I am terrible with names. did he have the lighter Blue 100? I loved that truck.

Steve has the Dark Blue.

I bought the 30mm rear spacers from Slee ($47) and the diff drop kit ($245). I spent total $300 plus shipping and cranked down on the factory torsion bars. I am very pleased. It lifted the rear about 1.25" and I leveled the front. My ride is still factory Toyota and still drives very nice. I rarely will go offroad in this truck (that is what my 40 is for) and if in the future I put a ARB or Slee front bumper on, I will upgrade the torsion bars then. Just a different option if you don't want to spend big money.

Before (no running boards, no lift, michelins)
DSCF3652.JPG

After (285/75-16, rear spacers, OEM TB's)
DSCF3720.JPG
DSCF3652.JPG
DSCF3720.JPG

another option would be:

- 30mm coil spacers.
- Spressofab 1" body lift.
- Either re-index OEM t-bars or upgrade to Old Man Emu.

That should get you around a 2" lift but will give you the factory ride quality (unless you upgrade the front) and because the suspension lift is only 30mm it won't tweak the front geometry much. If you occasionally need more weight capacity in the rear you could add firestone air bags.

edit: copenhagen above posted about the same time. same idea, but without the BL.

I'm running the same setup as Cope, with the addition if an ARB combo bar. Slee rear spacers and 33s. Unfortunately, the weight of the ARB combined with the worn out front torsion bars has prevented me from leveling it. As it sits, the torsion bars are maxed out and its at stock height, maybe a hair lower than stock. I will have to reindex the bars to get any more lift out of it.

Last October:
SDC10536.jpg

Now:
IMG_20110601_125920.jpg

I got the Performance Springs from Ironman ( TOY050BKG ) which are their standard setup...and they are only rated as 1" of spring lift. Mine might look higher because my LX springs and shocks were on their way out or the spring rate is higher as they are rated for an additional 600lbs of weight on rear of vehicle....

I figure I have about 260 lbs additional weight on front and about 200 lbs on rear extra. Once I put dual battery under hood and then put storage drawers in rear it will be closer to the expected weight load.

First is with AHC in NORMAL on flat ground

Second is with Ironman on slight incline

If you do a straight line from same spot on green shackle to wheel on both it looks by eyeball to be about 1-1.5 inches.

If someone else in area has a 2000 LX and wants to compare measurements from center of hub (L) to bottom of fenderwell between AHC Normal and mine I would be glad to compare.
BumpItOffroad Front Bumper 008.jpg
Uwharrie  001.jpg

Last edited:
brock,
Your truck more than 1". I am guessing 2-2.5"

Well Griffin was kind enough to meet with me while I was in Atlanta yesterday. I look his Cruiser over and let me give it a spin. He has the OME 2.5" medium with original OME shocks and 33" Nitto TG. The truck looks huge!!! If drove very nice and didn't't pick up on any bump steer. Charles told me that it comes and goes, which was disappointing because I wanted to get a feel for what it really felt like.
After seeing how tall it was I need to find one with a 1.5" lift to see first hand if it would fit my needs better for my 100, which is my every day truck. Being that I am constantly in and out of my car all day the 2.5" is more intimidating for my children but damn it looks cool.
I think Brock may have a 1"-1.5" but his truck is in the shop all tore up getting his CB's replaced.

Was nice meeting you yesterday, BBQ. Maybe one day I'll make to the coast, I'd love to land a red fish on a fly rod.

Yesterday I fumbled around with the specifics of the lift, but just found the Invoice. Here ya go:

N133 Nitrocharger Front Shocks
N101 Nitrocharger Rear Shock
OME 2860 Rear Coil Springs (80 Series LC)
OME 303001 Torsion Bar
SOF Diff Drop Kit

You can find all the above on Slee's site, as well. Good luck with your upgrades.

p.s. and get a front bumper for that LC, damn thing looks naked. ;)

I think Brock may have a 1"-1.5" but his truck is in the shop all tore up getting his CB's replaced.

No Passenger Side CV axle was already replaced a couple weeks ago...I am replacing my front and rear Ring and Pinions, front carrier, and installing a differential drop to her now. I will replace Drivers Side CV axle as soon as I can save up some more scratch and keep the current one as a Trail Spare for emergencies....

Depends on your budget too. The springs / tbars will be pretty similar whatever you go with, the front is adjustable height, this does not mean its a good idea to gain a lot of height. I'd recommend diff drop at any lift height. Also the more height the less droop you have. So it will ride / drive better at lower height.

Ok. i have been doing some research for the past couple weeks when I have time. Today I have not left my dish chair since 2:00 researching on MUD. My eyes are tired now but I have a few questions and want to solicit MORE LIFT advice if that is possible.
I feel like when I call the vendors aI am wasting their time and do not want to keep asking questions. They seem to have better things to do than answering a rookies questions.
I am debating wether to get a 1.5" or 2.5" OME medium. I really like the stance of the 2.5" but the 1.5" seems more practical for me.
Why? I have small children that need to get in and out easily. I am in and out of my car A LOT all day and night long and the bump steer has me a little concerned along with CV angle issues that can cause damage or premature wear. I would do a diff drop regardless of which lift I would get. My research has helped me to come to that conclusion.
I am having a hard time even finding pics of a 100 with a 1.5" lift and 33's. Seem s almost everyone goes with the 2.5".
I think I want to go without the original OME shocks to gain the ride I want.
I will be running a format bumper and winch.

My big question is this. If I go with the complete 1.5" lift kit but later want that extra inch in lift, can I just swap out the rear springs and keep the OME torsion bars and OME shocks installed? OR would I need longer shocks and bars?

Well, I think I am just going to try and add a spacer to the rear to gain 1.5" of lift and crank the torsion bar. Then I will add 33" tires to get a little more height. This way if I decide I want the 2.5" lift I won't be out of pocket except for maybe $100.
I wish I could find 18" 100 series wheels at a decent price so I can gain another inch from those tires, which would give me about 3" of total lift. That is a guesstimate.

Well, I think I am just going to try and add a spacer to the rear to gain 1.5" of lift and crank the torsion bar. Then I will add 33" tires to get a little more height. This way if I decide I want the 2.5" lift I won't be out of pocket except for maybe $100.
I wish I could find 18" 100 series wheels at a decent price so I can gain another inch from those tires, which would give me about 3" of total lift. That is a guesstimate.

18" tires dont do anything for you other than change what tires you can get.....and give you 2 inches less sidewall in some instances.

Keep your 16"....as a 33" tire on 16's is the same as a 33" tire on 18's....no difference other than size of hole in middle of tire but the diameter does not change based on wheel.

Nitto Terra Grappler
285-75-16=32.68" if I stay with my 16" wheels
275-70-18=33.27 if I upgrade.
I was considering 295-70-18 but that is almost 35" and they are wider.

Nitto Terra Grappler
I was considering 295-70-18 but that is almost 35" and they are wider.

It's about 34-1/4". Perfect size.

BBQ BOY said:
I wish I could find 18" 100 series wheels at a decent price so I can gain another inch from those tires
33 x 12.50 = 33" diameter by 11.50" wide
275/70/18 = 275mm wide with a side wall that is 70% of 275mm... on an 18" wheel

I'm going to stick with my 16" wheels for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom