Request help on a 200k miles '88 FJ60 I am thinking about getting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

A gentlemen is selling an '87 FJ60, with almost 200k miles for $5500. I was looking to spend less money and get something with less miles, but from what I've seen the car is pretty clean.

He said that the engine and tranny have not been rebuilt. I am guessing I will need to do that correct?

Please let me know any other things or tips on what I should be looking for when looking at the vehicle. Also is it me or is the price on the high side? The body looked good, the wheels and tires looked good, the interior was above average but not excellent.

Thanks,
Eric

You should be able to do a search and find what you're looking for already here.

It seems to me that you could find something with less miles for the same amount of money if you were willing to look outside your area.

did I miss it, where are you located? as that seems to reflect price somewhat, seems high to me. around here you can get a 62 for $1,000 less. 60's average $2500- $3500.

elum said:
Hello,

He said that the engine and tranny have not been rebuilt. I am guessing I will need to do that correct?

Thanks,
Eric

Not a given at all. I daily drive my FJ60 with 202,500 miles and it is all original. It runs and shifts like new. You may need to rebuild the carb, but the major components should have lots of life. I did need to rebuild the rear diff-the worn pinion bearing made itself known when I lifted the truck. Just yesterday I was helping a friend install his re-geared diffs and the rest of his FJ60 is in great condition with 250,000 miles. Offer the seller about 2/3 his asking price if you really like the truck.

That is too high for the miles if everything is still orginal. I would offer less too.

Goodluck

3_puppies said:
did I miss it, where are you located? as that seems to reflect price somewhat, seems high to me. around here you can get a 62 for $1,000 less. 60's average $2500- $3500.

Serious? Hmmnn.. I'm looking to get an FJ60 though that has NO RUST. While maybe not a show car.. is clean.. and has no issues.. do you think I could find one that matches my criteria for the prices you listed?

elum said:
Serious? Hmmnn.. I'm looking to get an FJ60 though that has NO RUST. While maybe not a show car.. is clean.. and has no issues.. do you think I could find one that matches my criteria for the prices you listed?

there has been a 62 for sale in the local mini nickel for $4500
also been 2 or 3 60's for $2300- 3000 locally all in the last month.

kelty said:
where are you?

Hey, I'm in Temecula, CA (SoCal). I've been looking at getting an FJ60 from CA, OR, WA, TX, FL, and other less rust happy states but am not opposed to getting a nice one from afar.

If it's REALLY clean(no rust or dents, interior nice) around here that's the going rate. I flew to Seattle to get mine for $3100, I knew the guy. He turned down $4500 while waitnig for me(nice guy). Drove home fine. Original engine, trans, T/C & axles.

235,000 miles.....no rust, 1/4 panel dent, interior pretty nice. Tan w/Brown but I woulda preferred Silver/Gray.

Also wish I knew about the difference 'tween '84 and '85 before.

Offer him about $4500 and see if you can get it for under $5000. That sounds about right. I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as it has good compression, shifts well, and the steering knuckles are in good shape.

jefferson-mo said:
If it's REALLY clean(no rust or dents, interior nice) around here that's the going rate. I flew to Seattle to get mine for $3100, I knew the guy. He turned down $4500 while waitnig for me(nice guy). Drove home fine. Original engine, trans, T/C & axles.

235,000 miles.....no rust, 1/4 panel dent, interior pretty nice. Tan w/Brown but I woulda preferred Silver/Gray.

Also wish I knew about the difference 'tween '84 and '85 before.

Thanks for the info.. The car I'm thinking about getting is actually in the MidWest but looked super clean from the pictures. I'm a little worried about a "somewhat recent" paint job but there's nothing to lead me to believe that it's all that bad.

The only drawback is figuring a flight up there and gas back into the price equation.

P.S. Congrats on the coming of your first child.. Mine is due in December!!!

chitown40 said:
Offer him about $4500 and see if you can get it for under $5000. That sounds about right. I wouldn't worry about the miles as long as it has good compression, shifts well, and the steering knuckles are in good shape.

I think I'm gonna follow your advice. on the same hand if this car blows me away I'll pay more.. BTW it has an EMU suspension on it so I shouldn't have to worry about sag..

P.S. How do you like your Rodeo? I had thought about 4Runners or Rodeos but was able to keep my resolve on getting a FJ60

elum said:
The only drawback is figuring a flight up there and gas back into the price equation.

P.S. Congrats on the coming of your first child.. Mine is due in December!!!

Yeah I found out the hard way about the gas mileage. I took off from Seattle in my normal driving mode and didn't even get 200 miles out of the 1st tankfull. Scared the doo-doo outta me. So I just lifted a little, slowed down a little to a reaonable pace and was able to squeeze a little over 300 miles out of subsequent tankfulls.

Thanks for the congrats!

elum said:
P.S. How do you like your Rodeo? I had thought about 4Runners or Rodeos but was able to keep my resolve on getting a FJ60

Definitely stick with the FJ60! I'm sure glad I got mine!

Let's get together sometime and drive some trails with the families.........

I'm less than an hour away..................

elum said:
I think I'm gonna follow your advice. on the same hand if this car blows me away I'll pay more.. BTW it has an EMU suspension on it so I shouldn't have to worry about sag..

I like my Rodeo a lot. For a daily driver it has good power, and also has had excellent reliability for me. It just doesn't have that class that a 60 does. Since I got my 60 running again, I think I've driven my Rodeo like once. If you get a '04 Rodeo, the 3.5 direct injection motor with 250hp is a steal at the price. You can get a new one for porlly 20k - 21k.

And, don't go over $5000. You'll find some maintenance items you'll have to take care of or want some upgrades and you can easily drop another grand getting it the way you want it. So keep looking if he wont budge on price.

That particular FJ is sold according to the thread.

I would check Google for trucks and/or ebay. Make sure that the seller is not trying to take you for a ride on the price though, it happens all the time.

:beer:

jefferson-mo said:
Definitely stick with the FJ60! I'm sure glad I got mine!

Let's get together sometime and drive some trails with the families.........

I'm less than an hour away..................

That sounds great! I'd really like that and I think the Misses, the future one to come, and the Rotty Puppy (Phoenix) would love it too..

The only part is that I'll have to take a rain check as I'm deployed overseas right now and plan on being back at the end of the year. I am planning on having a cousin-in-law pick-up/purchase the FJ60 I am interested in.

I will email you later as the date draws nearer about any good country trails or beach trails to hit with family...

I just paid $2000 for a 87' FJ60. It is a relatively rust free AZ truck. I found it locally (Omaha, NE). It has 203,000 on it and runs great. I will be doing a tune and oil change this weekend, so hopefully itll run even better.

Keep looking, 5K seems kinda high to me. Hodag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom