Request for advice where to start our 71 project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those hoses going to the transfer case are on the same switch circuit as your seized cable. My hoses are original on my 71 and aren't pretty but work great. Would be nice to get that seized cable out of the way and see if you can manually test that switch, you might be surprised. View attachment 2675344

The vacuum switch sends vacuum to the actuator on the transfer case. That knob on the dash (that you appear to be missing) only switches between 2wd and 4wd. The lever next to the heater is a direct linkage to switch between H-N-L.

Ok so let me see if I understand this. The knob on the dash which should say FD pulls a cable that creates vacuum that switches the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd. The lever to the right of the steering wheel and left of the heater box switches the transfer case between H-N-L. So if my cable is rusted solid, how do I test the switch? Is this cable available on market someplace. You mentioned testing manually. How do I do that? Thx Mark

Ok so let me see if I understand this. The knob on the dash which should say FD pulls a cable that creates vacuum that switches the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd. The lever to the right of the steering wheel and left of the heater box switches the transfer case between H-N-L. So if my cable is rusted solid, how do I test the switch? Is this cable available on market someplace. You mentioned testing manually. How do I do that? Thx Mark
All of that is correct. Looks like Spector Off Road has a new aftermarket cable for $55. I think I would try Classic Cruisers again for a proper used cable though.
The F.D knob on the dash pulls out about an inch to activate the vacuum switch. If I knew I had another cable coming, I would cut the old cable to within a few inches of vacuum switch and then see if I could get that few inch stub of cable to move in and out enough to test the vacuum switch.
Screenshot_20210516-014314_Chrome.jpg

Little more info that might be helpful. There is a 4wd indicator lamp on the dash below the left turn signal. The switch for that lamp is a ball and spring switch that rides an indent on a shaft in the transfer case. If that light is on, the transfer case has shifted into 4wd.

F.D switch in.
20210516_090018.jpg

F.D switch pulled, notice the lamp above is illuminated.
20210516_090022.jpg

Diagram of the switch, I had to pull mine and clean it so it moved freely and it worked.
20210516_090808.jpg

The vacuum switch is on the firewall, its what you're seized cable is attached to. The vacuum actuator is mounted on the transfer case itself, that is where you noticed the crumbling hoses.

The vacuum switch is on the firewall, its what you're seized cable is attached to. The vacuum actuator is mounted on the transfer case itself, that is where you noticed the crumbling hoses.

Ok got it. The section you provided looked different than what I imagined. It appears angled and I thought the switch on the FW was parallel w the FW. I’ll go out back and study.

So found my vacuum switch. Hard to see for all the caked on mud and grease.
I see two wires hanging down, which I assume connected to that switch somewhere.
Where does this vacuum plug into? See SOR pic w red circle. Remember my motor is a later 2F. My current hose has a hardware store Tee on it now. Not sure where it went or if they ever finished what they started.
C80C3A49-5AEF-4877-8CF2-F1CFA47403F6.jpeg

image.jpg

Where does this vacuum plug into? See SOR pic w red circle. Remember my motor is a later 2F. My current hose has a hardware store Tee on it now. Not sure where it went or if they ever finished what they started.
View attachment 2675700

View attachment 2675706
That connects to the top of the intake manifold, there should be a threaded hole for the nipple shown in the diagram. The vacuum nipple is shown in your second photo in your Post #30 above - it has the vacuum hose for your brake booster connected to it. I converted my '71 FJ40 to manual front wheel drive engagement more than 20 years ago, so I don't remember how my vacuum was connected.

Is this the intake connection? Indicated by the Sharpie. Currently the brake booster is hooked up to it. As for the nipple you are referring to is it this Tee, which is currently connected to the hose going to the vacuum thingy, which is attached to the firewall. Is the Tee fitting so that both the brake booster and the vacuum switch can share vacuum?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yes where the sharpie is. Brake booster is plugged into my manifold just below where the 4wd vacuum plugs in, see photo.
20210516_134155.jpg

Unsure on that one. I would think it's ok as long as the lube is safe for the rubber gaskets in the switch.

The general Google answer was to use Silicone sprays on rubber as it will not harm rubber and helps to keep it supple.

My manifold is different than your F manifold. My side port is directly under the carburetor but at the moment it is connected to the PCV on the other side of the motor. Maybe that is why the Tee was attached to the FD vacuum hose. It needs to share a vacuum supply? Just guessing here.

image.jpg

My manifold is different than your F manifold. My side port is directly under the carburetor but at the moment it is connected to the PCV on the other side of the motor. Maybe that is why the Tee was attached to the FD vacuum hose. It needs to share a vacuum supply? Just guessing here.

View attachment 2676192
I must have missed the fact that you have a 2F in your '71. I don't think the 2F would have had a provision for the vacuum actuated transfer case, that is probably why someone added the Tee into the system. It seems like that would work if done correctly.

Nice find on the knob! Although the knob appears to be on to the heater fan speed switch for some reason.
That F.D knob should be on the dashboard end of your siezed cable.

Well that is good news. I imagine that knob could be hard to find. Now to source a cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom