Reputable shop in Idaho or MT to replace both front CV axles. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Did an OME lift, diff drop and other mods several years ago. CV boots started to tear and sling grease. Local trusted mechanic said not to really worry about repairing or replacing the CV axles until they start popping when you’re going straight. They’ve been fine except for the occasional pop with wheel in full turn in reverse or other extreme cases. We happen to be on a road trip in MT and Idaho for the next few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has experience with a reputable shop near Bozeman, Helena, Missoula, Kalispell, Whitefish MT, or Coeur d’Alene, ID? They are still fine now but I’m considering having the work done while on the road because we may be in some remote areas soon and would prefer to have no worries.I could have parts (at least the axles) ordered and shipped from McGeorge if needed. Also, what’s worse case scenario on CV failure if I keep waiting? I don’t want to be stuck with no drivetrain on the going to the sun road in Glacier when one of them decides to really completely fail. Thanks in advance.

There is a Toyota shop in Missoula Welcome to Master Technician Inc. Toyotas Only, providing automotive repair services in Missoula, MT. - https://www.yotaservice.com/ and a Land Cruiser shop in Bozeman Overland Cruisers - https://overlandcruisersmt.com/.

I've not used either, but know folks who have. Your biggest issue may be timing.

Worst case, I have the tools and I'm east of Missoula if you want to DIY.

Hope you have tickets to the going to the sun road already ;)
Thank you for the quick reply! I might take you up on the DIY, I was going to attempt on my own when the time came, but I dont have all the tools w/ me right now.
We have a two week reservation at Fish Creek campground in Glacier and we could not be more excited about our time there.

If the tear is minor and recent (ie, no significant contamination has entered the boot), then you can just reboot the axles you already have. Would be more expensive from a labor standpoint if you don‘t do it yourself, but the boot kit is much cheaper than the entire axle. These CVs are very robust. As long as you keep them clean and lubricated they will last you a very long time.

If a CV fails while on the road you can still drive in RWD with the center diff locked, you’ll just have to remove the hub flanges. Going-to-the-Sun Road is paved.

Thank you for the quick reply! I might take you up on the DIY, I was going to attempt on my own when the time came, but I dont have all the tools w/ me right now.
We have a two week reservation at Fish Creek campground in Glacier and we could not be more excited about our time there.

Sure thing, just let me know. Glacier is a pretty amazing place.

If your travel allows, driving up the Swan Valley is way more enjoyable than driving up US93 from Missoula. Less traffic and much nicer views imho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom