Reputable body shop near Seattle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, got some rusty door bottoms and got some lower patch panels from Real Steel. A little apprehensive about doing this job; anyone know of a good shop near Seattle that could do this for me?

Thanks!

I would look for a hot rod/ fab type shop familiar with sheetmetal work. Up north, you could talk to Maxwell’s Metalworks in Marysville. Should be lots of other shops around.

I don't have a recommendation unfortunately. But I will endorse your decision to let the pros handle this job. I welded in the real steel patches my front doors... I tried to keep the heat down, but since you can't really get in there to hammer out the welds to combat shrinking (it's tough to fit your hand inside the door to get a dolly on the back side), I ended up warping the crap out of the outer door skins. I then spent days cutting out the big flat area of the door, trying to get it right, and welding in a big patch VERY CAREFULLY (i.e., compressed air in between every single tack weld) and only made them worse. Then I spent 3 or 4 ful ldays trying to fix it with body filler, which ended up being way too think for my comfort.

Now, I have given up and I'm planning to just buy fiberglass doors from Gozzard for $3k before shipping. Huge huge huge waste of time and money. So yeah, take it to a pro. You might even consider having them use a backing strip and a panel adhesive to attach the big flat area on the outer skin.... the welding and grinding heat really can ruin the the whole door- trust me!!!

I have personal experience that if you talk to the head instructor for the auto body repair program at Pierce community College in Tacoma, you can get your rig done by the students for materials cost only. I personally saw a: 1968 Camaro get done, a 1970 GTO, and a 1970 Chevelle get done and the quality was decent. cost for the GTO was 3k and that included trunk and at least one rear qtr panel.

Huh, thats an interesting thought, I may check that out. Thanks!

In another month the shop that restored my 68 will reopen in Pomeroy Wa. He is the best and has the expertise you need.

E98C8268-311B-4DE8-9990-FC3E944FC2F8.jpeg

I'm in a similar boat. I want the rear quarters on my 40 done near the Seattle area. I was recommended Tailored Garage in Tacoma by someone but never reached out. If you find someone let me know.

R&R Restoration....name Forest Cox....he is moving from Tri-Cities (Kennewick) to Pomeroy. Should be set up to start working again by July.

He just purchased the old John Deer service garage in Pomeroy, moving from 2200 sqft shop to 7000 sqft shop.

PM me with your contact information and I’ll pass it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom