Reproduction Interior Plastic Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kris

But my friends call me Kris
Threads
Hey Guys and Gals,

I've been interested in casting plastic parts for some time. There are a TON of 3D printed parts in the world today, but even the nice resin printers leave some tell-tale sign that it was printed. Not only that, but depending on how the part is printed, it can be extremely weak in thin areas.

After a frigid and early winter in the midwest, I needed something to stave off the cabin fever. So I pulled the lumbar and bolster knobs off my 4runner and made some copies of them. I am definitely still in the learning process, but am making big strides. The dark grey are the originals. I have some new molds curing at the moment to fix some of the bubble/flash from my 1st attempt.
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG

I also pulled these rear seat knobs from my 88 parts rig since they seemed easy to practice on. I'll let you guess which one is the real thing. I've also been trying to get the shade of grey correct, but regardless I think they should be sprayed with SEM color spray for some more UV stability.

Photo Mar 04, 9 14 37 AM.jpg

I've also got a grab bag of other items I could re-pop, but I still don't know if anyone would be interested. Anyway I think it's pretty fun.

Photo Mar 04, 9 16 31 AM.jpg

There are a few folks also working on plastic for our old junk. Those covers for the back seat hinge are one.

Right now I'm starting with smaller parts, but I'd like to be able to do shift surrounds and some lager parts. I've got a few things modeled in CAD for extra switches to replace the panel for power window/clutch start cancel that I've printed, but need a little more tweaking before I want to pour a mold for.

There are some folks around on the big facebook 4runner group that are doing the big flat panels - door cards, b-pillar covers, etc.

Center console lid and shifter surround was very brittle on mine. Both cracked.

The little seat knobs that you’ve already done are a good call. My rear tailgate lock top was nonexistent. And the rings that went around my front door locks (the ones you pull up to lock/unlock) have disappeared.

@Kris, nice work. Do I understand these are molded not printed? I would love know how you can diy injection molded plastic and get that texture, printers will never be able to reproduce that. I can echo all suggestions above as for candidates. I've resorted to building a power window master switch. Functional prototype shown here. I need to make some tweaks but I can't get the finish on the housing to my liking. We'll see. I've got some other reproduction parts for my 87' in the works, rear bumper, dash pad and misc. interior. I need to get out more....I suspect much of what I'm doing has already been done.
Cheers, S.
prototype.jpg

I think you will find there will be interest in just about any of it is it's not available otherwise.

@sdb999 I am not injection molding these parts, these are resin poured in a silicone mold. That's, currently, how I'm doing it. That is still a very nice print job though!
Do you have a stock window switch? Otherwise I just bought some SEM texture spray I need to try out with my printed parts.

I did a much deeper dive into some of the parts I've been looking to remake and are available 3D printed; are actually still available from Toyota. I'll start a new thread with my findings to keep track of what's available still.

I know people struggle to find good steering clamshells especially of the tilt variety. Also some of the 79-80 hvac/radio surrounds. If I can think of more or smaller items I will come back and post.

@Kris I see, so you'll need an actual part in hand to pull the mold. That captures texture nicely, cool. No, I didn't have a window switch. I designed the switch housing/toggle mounts from scratch based on photographs of the part. The switch guts and actual toggles were scavenged from a Land Cruiser switch from the same error and are plentiful. Digital caliper on the LC switch base and many test parts and I finally got all the relationships/snap-fits right. Oddly enough the hardest component to source was the 8-pin connector housing and related pins.

@sdb999 precisely, I need a master part to start. Albiet there can be some pretty heavy "arts and crafts" to make a master look right enough to make a mold.

Well done, that is an incredible amount of work to put together. I have had thoughts of putting together a kit for the horizontal door handle window switches, updating them to the 90's style switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom