Reproduction FJ45 LV spare tire mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw a fellow LV owner asking for a spare tire mount, I have one and everything I need to reproduce the entire assembly. my question is how many others would be interested? I will dig it out this weekend and look at what all is needed to make what is needed and a guess at what it would cost to make.

so I dug mine out, I am thinking that someone might have "adjusted" it at some point... could you guys provide some measurements for the four hole pattern on your bodies?

IMG-8964.JPG

IMG-8962.JPG

IMG-8963.JPG

I added slots where it mounts to the body since we are dealing with various years and old trucks in general. the clamping nut requires machining it would be less expensive to just use a nut instead of a machined piece, does anyone care either way? all of this would be laser cut and CNC bent/machined then Jig welded to match. I will get some pricing together, for the low Quantity it may be a touch expensive but we will see...

A couple of ways that we could save a chunk of change would be using a nut for the clamp and using full thickness material rather than a U channel for the portion to mount to the body. I think that would cut the cost by probably 1/3.

i think if your going to do it make it; get it as close as you can to the original and realize it will be a bit expensive. either way ill be in for one (or 2) but would be happy to pay more to have it like original. thanks:)

I just need the washer that holds the wheel in place. I know I could make one but hey, gotta support the small guys. Drawing looks great. Wish I had those skills. Thanks for taking this on. What else you up for reproducing?

I just need the washer that holds the wheel in place. I know I could make one but hey, gotta support the small guys. Drawing looks great. Wish I had those skills. Thanks for taking this on. What else you up for reproducing?

I am up to draw up just about anything.

i think if your going to do it make it; get it as close as you can to the original and realize it will be a bit expensive. either way ill be in for one (or 2) but would be happy to pay more to have it like original. thanks:)
I Agree, I am thinking that it might be as high as $300 but hopefully not.

would you guys still be in at that price? if it looks all original?

Did some test bends and a vendor of mine... as I suspected the bends that put the edge flange in tension worked just fine and the ones in compression didn't. with some minor tweaks to the laser program and a bit of welding/grinding the compression corners will look great also.

IMG-8980.JPG

IMG-8981.JPG

so the original part is made from 0.897" thick material, does anyone want a little more heft to it since we are most likely all running larger tires? options would be : 0.1046, 0.1196, 0.1345. visually it wouldn't be noticeable until we get past the 0.125" mark in my opinion.

preliminary pricing is in, looks like it is $275 if I get 10 or more made... if we are looking at 5-10 it will be $325
sub 5 $375. all prices would be without shipping.

this would look near OEM, the difference being in some of the bend radii, to get it to factory would require some tool modification and that would add ~$500 to the total order...

I also slightly increased the thickness to a more readily available size.

now we would need some serious commitments. I would need a 50% deposit to get it started and then the remained prior to shipping.

I would expect this to take 6 weeks to fulfill the orders based on the shop lead times.

who is in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom