report: Bald Mountain 3/14/09 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
The Bald Mountain trip was a blast. My 73 40, Dusty's Lexus on 42s, an oil burning Samurai, and two mildly built TJs made it about 3/4 of the way to the top when the snow finally got to the point where we couldn't go any farther. Good to know, the FJ 40 was the rig of the day that was more tow truck than wheeler.

There are pictures that need to work there way over to me and video. Once Dustin or I can post we will. Totally good trip.

Damage, one blown valve cover gasket on my 40 that leaked way too much oil to feel good about. All it took was cranking down the cover bolts and adding some oil and my shackles in front worked them selves loose from all the flexing and locking bolts that gave up the ghost. Tightened them down on the drive home and all good.

Samurai: Over heating on its first trip out. A 4" branch to prop open the hood kept the engine at 190 and all good.

One thing that everyone should get is an ARB kinetic energy pull strap. They are like giant rubber bands and tug out stuck rigs without the jarring. But, if it is pulled tight and the rig being yanked is way heaver than a 40, it does stop you fast enough to bang your head if your forget to put on the shoulder straps on a 4 point harness .

During this trip I spewed about 4 qts of oil out of my valve cover. This was a "new" valve cover from a 2F that was supposed to be one of those "never leaks and is way better than an F valve cover" suggested by Mark A. When I got it, it had a great looking seal on it already and I called and asked Mark if I should reuse the seal. He said it should last forever and reuse it. Now I am in no way bagging on Mark or saying anything bad about him or his parts, just letting you know that both of us thought the seal was good.
So I had to crank down my cover bolts way past specs up at Bald Mountain to get it to just dribble a bit of oil and finish out my day (all the time feeling like crap for leaking oil on a trail cleaned up as much as I could.

Anyway, I pulled it yesterday and sure enough, the back part of the seal was split in two, right at the corner. Basically the seal failed. The replacement one I could afford right now (saving money for Calico) was an auto zone special (but the part number matched Napa and all the likes) was a totally different looking seal that instead of being an upside down T was just a thin I that wedged into the grove on the cover. The seal from Toyota was outrageous in cost so I had to go with this one. It looks like it compresses and mushrooms out to make a good seal and after driving around, it isn’t leaking.

Although it seems fine driving around town, I am not using the same RPMS that I would use wheeling so now I need to bring my old valve cover and a brand new cork OEM F valve cover gasket that I was planning on using before I got the “leak proof” 2F cover to calico. We shall see.

That was CRAZY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom