Bug: Replying to threads & PM fails; also logging in from different browser fails with "security error". (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FerrisBueller

SILVER Star
Threads
Google Chrome is my normal browser on my Windows 10 laptop, and it's where I was experiencing these issues.

I am trying to reply to a PM, and the website fails each time with the error message: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console."
(The browser console didn't yield anything obvious.) This only started happening today, it was working earlier this week.

So I tried posting a help request here, but that fails with the same error message. In fact, I can't post to any threads or anything.

So I tried opening Firefox and logging into ih8mud, but I can't log in. It gives this error message: "Oops! We ran into some problems. Security error occurred. Please press back, refresh the page, and try again."

I am posting this from my phone, which apparently is not experiencing the problem.

Any thoughts / ideas?

Thanks

And yes, I tried turning it off and on again 😁

LOL....will be back to my laptop shortly and can chase down the issue....updates forum software this morning and a plugin might be conflicting now.

Started a convo with you on my phone, and replied...zero issues. THEN tried on my laptop (win10/Chrome) and nuthin...found a plugin that updated earlier this week and applied that update, and it appears to be working again :)

Still not working for me. I tried forcing a refresh and clearing my cache, too.

Sometimes sites will keep their own cached content to serve to users, though, and maybe that server-side cache hasn't updated after the plug-in update? (Yet sites will often serve uncached content to admins, which could explain why it started working for you).

now I'm at a loss....caching might be it, but doubt it. However, I no longer have any server errors being reported....

strange....

wondering if anyone else is experiencing an issue?? (bueller, bueller....)

It is semi-working now after some tinkering this morning.

Windows 10 had installed several updates the day before this bug started happening for me. This morning I tried installing the updates. It only allowed me to uninstall 2 of the 4 updates, but this bug still existed. So I tried to restore Windows to the checkpoint right before those updates got installed. The restore failed, and Windows said I should disable my antivirus and try the system restore again. I disabled my antivirus, but didn't retry the system restore. Lo and behold, everything is working now if I have my antivirus disabled. 🤷‍♂️

I have no idea what problem my antivirus (Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition) could be having with this website out of the blue like this.

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised....phone/laptop updates always create headaches of some sort. I've been chasing a few over the past week related to hotspotting off my Verizon devices. Bringing the suck, for sure (as I gave up this morning and am now at a cafe...)

I'll wager the virus software has a "whitelist" option, where you can pre-approve sites.

Also curious if the issues persists with other XenForo forums...two to test with:
....and the build thread link in my sig line to rockcrawler.com :) (shameless buggy thread self promotion...it happens) ;)

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised....phone/laptop updates always create headaches of some sort. I've been chasing a few over the past week related to hotspotting off my Verizon devices. Bringing the suck, for sure (as I gave up this morning and am now at a cafe...)

I'll wager the virus software has a "whitelist" option, where you can pre-approve sites.

Also curious if the issues persists with other XenForo forums...two to test with:
....and the build thread link in my sig line to rockcrawler.com :) (shameless buggy thread self promotion...it happens) ;)

With my antivirus enabled, I was able to register on XenForo's forums, but not on your rockcrawler forum (same error). When I disable antivirus, then I'm able to register on rockcrawler. So maybe Bitdefender has a problem with how a specific plugin is behaving.

With my antivirus enabled, I was able to register on XenForo's forums, but not on your rockcrawler forum (same error). When I disable antivirus, then I'm able to register on rockcrawler. So maybe Bitdefender has a problem with how a specific plugin is behaving.
Either a plugin, or how the server is setup... I'll have my sysadmin look into it. However, I'm never a fan of loosening security...tough to balance.

Same problem here. Also using Bitdefender for my AV. I tried adding an exclusion for ih8mud.com, but, that didn't work. I believe that just excluded files from the site from being scanned. Still can't log in to the site on my PC using either Chrome, Firefox or Edge.

IDK how my search didn't come up with this thread, this is exactly what I needed. I was able to login in again by turning off bitdefender to login, and then once logged in I could turn on BD without issue. I just added an exclusion for forum.ih8mud.com and that worked for me.

Same problem here. Also using Bitdefender for my AV. I tried adding an exclusion for ih8mud.com, but, that didn't work. I believe that just excluded files from the site from being scanned. Still can't log in to the site on my PC using either Chrome, Firefox or Edge.
Did you make an exclusion for ih8mud.com or forum.ih8mud.com?
I did the latter and it worked.

IDK how my search didn't come up with this thread, this is exactly what I needed. I was able to login in again by turning off bitdefender to login, and then once logged in I could turn on BD without issue. I just added an exclusion for forum.ih8mud.com and that worked for me.

Did you make an exclusion for ih8mud.com or forum.ih8mud.com?
I did the latter and it worked.

I had previously tried exactly what you describe, but after about 5 minutes it stopped working again. I think there's a delay between turning the antivirus back on and when it starts blocking this site from working.

hmm we'll see if mine grinds to a halt then.

Actually me trying to post this didn't work. Just turned it off and this should go through.
edit: It did, yeah bitdefender just has a delay.

AT&T fiber. I feel like bitdefender is a common denominator here.
1626833329338.png

Access to font at 'about:blank' from origin 'IH8MUD Forum - https://forum.ih8mud.com' has been blocked by CORS policy: Cross origin requests are only supported for protocol schemes: http, data, chrome, chrome-extension, chrome-untrusted, https.

about:blank:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_FAILED

amp-inabox.js:139 Powered by AMP ⚡ HTML – Version 2107130206000 Bug: - Replying to threads & PM fails; also logging in from different browser fails with "security error". - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/replying-to-threads-pm-fails-also-logging-in-from-different-browser-fails-with-security-error.1258212/

? Who is your ISP? Trying to find a common cause...
It doesn't make a difference if I connect my laptop through my hardwired ISP (Spectrum) or connect my laptop through my smartphone-as-a-hotspot (Verizon Wireless).

I assume it's all Bitdefender's fault, and there was probably a recent update (maybe rolling out gradually rather than all at once?) that clashes with some feature that this site uses.

I'm also on AT&T fiber, but, Bitdefender appears to be the culprit. This only began recently, so, I would assume FerrisBueller is correct, a recent update has caused Bitdefender and the site to not play well together.

I can read threads, but, get the error when I attempt to log in, or, press enter in search. I do see the suggested results while entering keywords though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom