Replicating Dad's Land Cruiser, my 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I havent been around Mud much in the last couple of years. I had to sell my 1972 FJ40 and It felt a little sad to see your trucks while I was missing mine.

At any rate, I'm back now as I have recently acquired a 1976 FJ40. Unlike my other two "Cruisers, I'm actually impressed with the way the PO's have treated this rig. It has:
Stock 2f (Passed smog, runs great. Was rebuilt a couple of years ago)
SM420 4 speed
4:11"s with Lock Rights front and rear
3 or 4 inch lift SUA
Onboard air
Mini truck PS
Warn 8274
No rust (!)
The strangest thing is that EVERYTHING works! Including the dome light and AM radio.

All I had to do to make it a relaible daily driver was adjust the fast idle and flip the seat brackets for a little more legroom.

The plan is to drive and enjoy it while I build an overhead console and a few other storage ideas.

Engine upgrades will include, milling the head, RV cam, carb, header and HEI.

Paint is last and it will be an exact replica of my Dad's 1975 40 that I grew up in (sadly without the Tru-Tracs). It will have white spokers, and white flares.

Should be fun, see you on (or off) the road,

Scott
jetta001.jpg
jetta002.jpg
jetta003.jpg

looks like you have a nice cruiser to work with. Have you checked for rust under the diamond plate?

I love the rims you have on there now, those are what I had to find for my rig, but they are the ones I always wanted in high school, so getting the white spokes like your dad had will be so cool. I love your plan, can;t wait to see it looking just like that picture.

I love the rims you have on there now, those are what I had to find for my rig, but they are the ones I always wanted in high school, so getting the white spokes like your dad had will be so cool. I love your plan, can;t wait to see it looking just like that picture.

I'll happily trade you for some white spokers.

Very nice looks very complete. Just curious though, on the left side of the engine bay pic, is that a water pump pressure switch? :hmm:Lol May be just me but looks like a Square D pump switch. Nice truck!

I've seen that shot of it parked next to the J**p. Do you know who bought it in '79?

Is it a California rig originally? I hope they have not covered up too much rust with that diamond plate.

Looking forward to seeing her all done.

Josh

Very nice! I have a soft spot for white spoked wheels and rear bench seats. When I was a kid my dad drove a spring green colored one with white spokes. I used to lay on the rear bench seats and zone out on the small dots of the headliner. :)

Very nice looks very complete. Just curious though, on the left side of the engine bay pic, is that a water pump pressure switch? :hmm:Lol May be just me but looks like a Square D pump switch. Nice truck!

Thanks! That's the homemade on board air setup.

I've seen that shot of it parked next to the J**p. Do you know who bought it in '79?

Is it a California rig originally? I hope they have not covered up too much rust with that diamond plate.

Looking forward to seeing her all done.

Josh

My Dad came across it again in 1985 and tried to buy it back but no dice.

It's an original CA rig, no rust under the diamond plate. It was just installed shortlt before I picked the rig up and it's coming off next weekend. I get to weld up 4,000 rivet holes:bang:

Awesome project with a solid starting point. Take lots of pics!

IMO (worth what you paid for it), your cruiser now is better looking than Dad's. It would sure save you a lot of work to weld the holes and just paint the rear quarters and front fenders. The picture would look pretty good with the red cruiser in the same spot too. I am especially not liking you painting over the original paint with a different color. Only thing worse than a PO is becoming a PO. :flipoff2:

IMO (worth what you paid for it), your cruiser now is better looking than Dad's. It would sure save you a lot of work to weld the holes and just paint the rear quarters and front fenders. The picture would look pretty good with the red cruiser in the same spot too. I am especially not liking you painting over the original paint with a different color. Only thing worse than a PO is becoming a PO. :flipoff2:

The red's not original. It was a funky mustard yellowish.

I don't think you will find the good old Armstrong true tracs that were on your dads. The Armstrongs and white spokes were boss then. Nice find, good luck on the restore.

I've been pulling for the original for years, and spinning my head whenever a green one goes by (to look for the stripe).
I'm glad you've found a clean candidate for your build.
Have fun. :cheers:

Nice build plan man. I have a 72 just like the last one my parents had. I like the old school look with some modern tech. I would have to paint mine red and put a V8 in mine to be like dads. I'm all for the V8 but my last one was red and it's not my favorite color, so I think my dad would be ok with the olive drab I'm planning. Good luck:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom