Replacing window tint in an FJ62 - horror stories? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

WoodnotRust

SILVER Star
Threads
This morning I got a dire warning from a window tint shop. He said the late 1980's and early 1990's Land Cruiser windows came with a factory installed "clear" film that gets destroyed when you subsequently try to strip off aftermarket tint with a razor. He said his brother found this out 15 years ago and it cost his shop $3000 to replace all the glass with new...obviously a memory not soon forgotten.

Does anyone have experience stripping and re-tinting the windows in their FJ62? Any truth to this story?

My current tint is not really opaque...the shop thinks it is somewhere between a "20-30". The cargo windows have a slight metallic finish, but even though the passenger windows have a different tint (basic black I think) there isn't a huge contrast between the tint front to back. I like the look which gives some tint while still maintaining the original look. Any recommendations for a tint that will achieve that look?

I tinted my 88Fj62 windows upon purchasing back in 1988. Removed tint in 2010…no problemo. Never witnessed a clear film coming off with the tint. Did your tint shop ever explain the purpose of this “clear tint“ and the resulting damage if removed? Just for the record, although living in a summer environment of +90 degree days, I’ll never go back to tint. However, wishing you well, if you decide to retint.

Original Toyota glass didn’t have a film of any kind applied to it on any of the windows.

I put the blackest limo tint available on all the windows except the two front doors. They got nothing. Really helps keep prying eyes out when you’re carrying stuff in the cruiser all the time. Definitely keeps the inside cooler too on sunny hot days.

Not sure what the hell your tint guy is talking about. My ‘90 fj62 has been stripped and tinted a couple times, zero issues.

I stripped the old tint myself…highly recommend using a steamer to remove old tint. No fuss no muss.

Some don’t like tint on 60s because it’s not vintage correct. I love having my windows darkened, esp in the back.

Boy am I thrilled to have mud members out there on occasions like this one. Actually, many members have helped countless other times too and I feel it is time for me to post my first official greeting to all.

:flipoff2: Never used before, but always admired.

I think I'll start by simply removing the tint and see how it looks. If I do wind up adding tint, it won't be too opaque since I'm more interested in maintaining an OEM-style look. Besides, it's mostly in the garage away from prying eyes and at 7,200' elevation we spend most of our time trying to stay warm.

Mine had bad tint on them and razor bladed them off with no problems what so ever. I have an 88 fj62. I now know the steaming trick which I will use in the future.

What the best way to remove old tint? I have some on my rear glass that has been torn and cannot be removed Easley or in one piece. Suggestions?

What the best way to remove old tint? I have some on my rear glass that has been torn and cannot be removed Easley or in one piece. Suggestions?
It’s been mentioned a few times….steam. Use a clothing/laundry steamer. Get a lower corner or edge started let the steam work under it, work from bottom up.
Definitely don’t want to be scraping or scrubbing on your rear defroster lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom