Replacing window motor - do i have to remove the regulator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the panel & weathershield off.

I'm assuming i need to tape the window in the up position, then unbolt the entire regulator, remove it as a unit, replace motor and install or can i do it without removing the regulator?

Turns out the search button works just fine on this forum.

Thanks Summit Cruisers:

REMOVING REGULATOR AND MOTOR ASSEMBLY.
In order to remove the regulator/motor you will need to lower the window almost all the way down where you can unbolt the window from the track. There are two 10mm bolts, both are located at the bottom of the glass. One is on the bottom right below the glass and the other will be removed through the small hole to the left of the largest opening shown on the inside of the door.
After the two bolts are removed, you can now grab on to the window and manually raise it up. I used ping pong paddles to wedge between the window and the metal door to hold the window in the upright position.
Unplug the power disconnect to the window motor.
Now you will need to unbolt all the other 10mm bolts to enable you to remove the regulator and motor assembly. The assembly will slide out the largest hole in the door.

Next is to remove the motor from the regulator assembly. There are three screws that you can remove with either a T25 torx head or a large flat screwdriver.

All done.

Pretty easy. Glad i found summit cruisers post. On reinstall i started by connecting the bottom rail first, then the crossrail that bolts to the door about halfway up. Then i worked the motor back & forth until it was aligned vertically with the bolt holes, then pushed it over by hand horizontally. A couple adjustments with the up/down switch to line up the holes and voila.

I kept waiting for the proverbial shoe to drop but for the first time in my life a job like this went smooth and it was done lickety split.

Tomorrow i install the new A/C belt (of course it's the most inboard one). Ordering a new cold start injector sensor switch and installing that and the rest is piddly stuff. Hopefully the a/c gelt and cold start sensor go this easy.

So question.....if the motor doesn't work and the window is in the upright position, did you just unbolt the three bolts and take the tape off the window and drop the window and motor assembly down, and then unbolt the two bolts from the window?

Just curious try to figure this one out since I can't technically roll the window down since my motor is shot.

Thanks all

I managed to replace the whole assembly (motor and regulator left rear) with the window taped all the way up. Don't ask me how!

Wow, well I guess if you could so can I lol. Did you just unbolt the assembly from the door and drop the whole thing, window and all?
Sorry to ask, trying to way all my options here.

Window was taped up. But yes the whole thing came out the door hole after the bolts. I don't recall it taking more than an hour, possibly a lot less.

Thank you very much for the info! Looks like I'm going to tackle this project next weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom