Replacing wheel studs (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the wheel studs on my truck with longer ones. I would assume that the procedure is as follows-
1. take off wheel and brake drum
2. thread lugnut on lug
3. Beat the lug till it pops out the back.
4. Insert new lugs tight enough to keep from twisting
5. Reinstall brake drum (god I had those things)
6. Install wheel +tire, the tightening the the lgnuts to wheel will really seat the new bolts.
Am I correct? Anything I am missing? Any tricks?

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=1;threadid=4749;start=msg35951#msg35951 date=1062087078]1. take off wheel and brake drum
2. thread lugnut on lug
3. Beat the lug till it pops out the back.
4. Insert new lugs tight enough to keep from twisting
5. Reinstall brake drum (god I had those things)
6. Install wheel +tire, the tightening the the lgnuts to wheel will really seat the new bolts.
Am I correct? Anything I am missing? Any tricks?
[/quote]

I will assume rear....

Honestly, I don't believe there is space behind the studs to allow the lug to come out...you may get to pull the shafts too. If front, I guarantee you need to drop the spindle and "maybe" even the rotor...

This will allow you to properly beat the new ones into place tho...hehehe

when beating out the old ones, don't bother putting on a lug nut...just pound the stud itself. mine came out in one to two whacks. you'll have to pull the axles, iirc.

Make sure the studs are all the way tight before putting the wheel on and taking it for a spin. All they have to move is a c-hair and the lugs will loosen up nicely. Usually while at highway speed.

I know from experience. :-X

you can use the lug nut if you have the ones without the cap. Make sure to put it on with the taper facing out. Or get a regular hex nut. Air impact helps alot.

If you mount the wheel and use the lug nuts to draw them down tight you may bend your wheels if the studs don't seat easily. Better to use a stack of washers or something over the stud and seat them before putting the wheel on. IMHO, of course. :)

Ok. No I've got to do both F&R. I was afraid of having to do more than just remove drums. I still have drum fronts unfortunatly. Looks like this is not an after soccer practice job. Especially with readjusting those damn drums. I do have an impact. Thanks guys.

Hey bailey, no way you can do it with the ft hubs or RR shafts installed. IIRC you just had the RR shafts out to install the 3rd member you got from me and the hubs off with your ft end rebuild.Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha! dont you just love cruisers. Call me soon. I want to hook up about some work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom