Replacing Water Inlet Housing - Part Compatibility Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mitchclem

Threads
Discovered a leak around the water inlet housing o-ring. I've read it's not uncommon to break the housing when removing it, so I bought the OEM water inlet housing with the gasket (seal?) already on it, PN 1603250110. The part was cheaper than buying the proper FIPG for the job, so it seemed like a no brainer. Now I'm wondering if there are compatability issues with using the factory installed gasket as my rig is a 98 and I run 50/50 Toyota Red and something tells me it was developed with Toyota Pink in mind. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love some information before I dive in. BONUS QUESTION - how much coolant do I need to drain to not make a mess for this job, and is draining from the radiator petcock sufficient?

PXL_20210123_215502669.jpg

Discovered a leak around the water inlet housing o-ring. I've read it's not uncommon to break the housing when removing it, so I bought the OEM water inlet housing with the gasket (seal?) already on it, PN 1603250110. The part was cheaper than buying the proper FIPG for the job, so it seemed like a no brainer. Now I'm wondering if there are compatability issues with using the factory installed gasket as my rig is a 98 and I run 50/50 Toyota Red and something tells me it was developed with Toyota Pink in mind. If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love some information before I dive in. BONUS QUESTION - how much coolant do I need to drain to not make a mess for this job, and is draining from the radiator petcock sufficient?

View attachment 2566549
Red/Pink coolant should make no difference in regards to the sealant used on parts for a 98.

Can't recall how much coolant is needed to drain. I would drain from radiator and just go at it, with a catch bin ready under the car.

BONUS QUESTION - how much coolant do I need to drain to not make a mess for this job, and is draining from the radiator petcock sufficient?

View attachment 2566549

Yes that’s sufficient. My first rodeo wasn’t I expected, I ruined a completely brand new gasket when I assembled the coolant inlet and caused a leak.

68E5EF34-9C24-4D5A-A378-7014500EDE57.jpeg

My next attempt I now used die electric grease and applied it on the new o-ring gasket which helped lubricate the mating surface and created an air-tight seal. No more leak so far after 3,000+ miles.

Yes that’s sufficient. My first rodeo wasn’t I expected, I ruined a completely brand new gasket when I assembled the coolant inlet and caused a leak.

View attachment 2566584

My next attempt I now used die electric grease and applied it on the new o-ring gasket which helped lubricate the mating surface and created an air-tight seal. No more leak so far after 3,000+ miles.
Awesome, thanks for the info and pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom