Replacing Valve cover gasket. Anything else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my friend found a leak on the back of my valve cover and determined that I needed a new valve cover gasket. I've looked at the process and it seems pretty straight forward. Since I'm going to be opening everything up anyway, are there any other things that I should replace or clean if I am going to be replacing the valve cover gasket?

You may as well replace everything attached to the valve cover such as plug seals, PCV along with the 2 associated hoses.

If it was me and I was that far in I would replace the hose that goes from the head to the throttle body as well small hose between the throttle body and the hard pipe coming off of the water pump

spark plug tube seals and throttle body gasket. PCV, grommet and hoses if you haven't looked at them in a while. Distributor o-ring if it's showing any signs of leakage. Lots of pretty easy to do stuff on the top of the motor.

basically what everone here said. how far down this rabbit hole do you want to go? how much time/money are you looking to blow and how important is this truck?

Check the valve clearances while the valve cover is off.

Heater valve (if not already done) & paint the valve cover. Associated hoses. Get new valve cover bolts.

Both well worth the time.

I’m “+1” to @Heckraiser on sparkplug tube gaskets & PCV gasket with the cover off so you can use gravity to help, instead of losing crusty gasket down the crankcase.

Paint or no paint on the valvecover, that’s rabbithole territory.

This is a good start. Coupled with @NLXTACY hose kits and you’ll be golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom