Replacing Timing components without having to pull the engine out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a problem of whistling noise from the timing chain.
That's how I got the rig.

We think that the

SLIPPER, CHAIN TENSIONER​

DAMPER, CHAIN​

Are bad.

All the videos and written instructions I found for timing chain replacement are done engine out of the rig.

Is it possible to do without taking the engine out?

What more should I do when I am there?

WhatsApp Image 2023-07-09 at 21.27.17.jpg

I have a problem of whistling noise from the timing chain.
That's how I got the rig.

We think that the

SLIPPER, CHAIN TENSIONER​

DAMPER, CHAIN​

Are bad.

All the videos and written instructions I found for timing chain replacement are done engine out of the rig.

Is it possible to do without taking the engine out?

What more should I do when I am there?

View attachment 3370040

Yes, it's possible on the 1FZ-FE to replace all the timing components in frame without pulling the head.

@cruiserdan did it years ago in about 20 hours and stated that he wouldn't do it that way again. There is a thread about it here someplace.

I have done it without pulling the engine. I did a headgasket replacement and a cylinder head refresh while at it.

Depends...is pulling the engine more work than removing the front end? I wouldn't do it without doing one or the other, but it can be done without doing either. How much do you hate yourself?

Never done it, but, with rad pulled, ac moved out of the way and rad support removed it would be a chair job would it not?

But with those parts installed it would be a back breaker!

When I did oil pump cover and main seal it was easy when the rad was removed🤷‍♂️.

I am an aircraft mechanic, 12,500 lb take-off weight and under. I have yet to do a job on a cruiser that is more difficult than a lot jobs on those aircraft!

An error a lot of people make is trying to work around objects that are in the way. Most times removing a couple things is actually faster than trying to
work around objects that are removable.

Also makes job less frustrating so less of a chance of you loosing it and doing damage because you lost it!

Never done it, but, with rad pulled, ac moved out of the way and rad support removed it would be a chair job would it not?

But with those parts installed it would be a back breaker!

When I did oil pump cover and main seal it was easy when the rad was removed🤷‍♂️.

I am an aircraft mechanic, 12,500 lb take-off weight and under. I have yet to do a job on a cruiser that is more difficult than a lot jobs on those aircraft!

An error a lot of people make is trying to work around objects that are in the way. Most times removing a couple things is actually faster than trying to
work around objects that are removable.

Also makes job less frustrating so less of a chance of you loosing it and doing damage because you lost it!
Must remove both oil pans in order to get the timing cover off. To do that, you must raise the engine. That means engine mounts need to come loose.

It snowballs pretty quickly.

Must remove both oil pans in order to get the timing cover off. To do that, you must raise the engine. That means engine mounts need to come loose.

It snowballs pretty quickly.

It sounds like this job is a bad combination of rabbit hole can of worms :worms:

Is removing engine head a must?

Well, remember, Mr. Dan did it without removing the head.

Is it a good idea? I personally wouldn't do it unless I had way more time than money. I'd bite the bullet and pull the head to do it all while there, but it can be physically done without pulling the head.

Is it a good idea? I personally wouldn't do it unless I had way more time than money. I'd bite the bullet and pull the head to do it all while there, but it can be physically done without pulling the head.

He didn’t do the head or the timing components. He resealed the upper and lower oil pans.

He didn’t do the head or the timing components. He resealed the upper and lower oil pans.
He actually determined the cause was a leak at the timing cover.
He did have to reseal the upper and lower oil pans, but he did R/R the timing cover in the process.

He also replaced the timing chain slipper and tensioner while in there (yes, the tensioner is external)

See the original thread.

He has stated in subsequent threads that he would NEVER do this again.

Parts are expensive in Israel and take a long time to get here, on the other hand mechanics are cheap in a Toyota dealership its 250 ISL or 60$ per hour. In a privet shop 30$, so labor time is less important, but It should be possible to do.

He actually determined the cause was a leak at the timing cover.
He did have to reseal the upper and lower oil pans, but he did R/R the timing cover in the process.

He also replaced the timing chain slipper and tensioner while in there (yes, the tensioner is external)

See the original thread.

He has stated in subsequent threads that he would NEVER do this again.

Totally fake news. I’ve never seen a wrench in that old man’s hands evah!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom