Replacing Timing Chain in 1997 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What all is involved in replacing my timing chain? It is broken. Would I have to take the head off as well? And should I need to check anything else for this type of project? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

There's plenty of threads on here about motor work, probably you can find pictures enough to guide you along in your repair.

Are you sure it is broken? That's unusual for these, usually the tensioner goes out. Search 'timing chain tensioner' for threads.

No, you don't, but @artech is right, there's plenty of info here for you. The FSM runs 22 pages. A picture (or two) is worth a thousand words:
upload_2017-9-11_14-23-43.png

upload_2017-9-11_14-24-1.png

best to change upper and lower sprockets as well. I also would change the slipper and damper guides, and tensioner. the front cover is coming off, so you are removing the pan as well. might as well reseal the oil pump

What caused the chain to break? Usually there are other things that cause that.

best to change upper and lower sprockets as well. I also would change the slipper and damper guides, and tensioner. the front cover is coming off, so you are removing the pan as well. might as well reseal the oil pump
It's a rabbit hole, for sure...

... Would I have to take the head off as well? ...

No, to get the cover off, the head or pans have to come off, your choice. As others mentioned, chain breakage is not common, determining why it broke is key.

First I ever heard of a chain breaking, would be curious to know the cause?

After taking off the cylinder head cover, the camshaft timing gear was busted in half. Not sure what would have caused that. Lucky this happened in my drive way. No warning, it just won't crank.

After taking off the cylinder head cover, the camshaft timing gear was busted in half. Not sure what would have caused that. Lucky this happened in my drive way. No warning, it just won't crank.

Possibly a tensioner failure, caused a bind at the crank end, busted the cam gear during rotation.

That sucks. Sorry for your loss. I would be concerned about the cams as well.

The O.P. should be happy his engine is a non interference engine, otherwise he'd be replacing more then just a chain.

No, to get the cover off, the head or pans have to come off, your choice. As others mentioned, chain breakage is not common, determining why it broke is key.
I had the impression, from the FSM and someone who's done this twice this year, that the head had to come off.
upload_2017-9-12_11-7-23.png

What's the trick to keeping the head on? I ask because I was discussing this with @JohnVee last night and he has this on his to-do list.

Old news, but part of the head gasket goes over the timing chain cover, so changing the HG is kinda necessary. Mine broke as well. My theory is that the timing chain became the weak link in a hydrolock situation, and had been weakened from previous seapage, and finally, when turning it over, the timing chain snapped, ruining the crank gear. The cam gear isn't damaged, but I'll replace everything.

Old news, but part of the head gasket goes over the timing chain cover, so changing the HG is kinda necessary. Mine broke as well. My theory is that the timing chain became the weak link in a hydrolock situation, and had been weakened from previous seapage, and finally, when turning it over, the timing chain snapped, ruining the crank gear. The cam gear isn't damaged, but I'll replace everything.
That does sound like a kletzenklueffer.

At any rate, you are into the bottom end. You need to procure a way to torque the crank bolt on to 304ftlbs.

Hate to beat a dead horse but when you said it didn’t crank or did you mean turnover ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom